VIDEO Chelsea 1–1 Sparta Prague: Highlights Of Eden Hazard’s Brilliant Game-Winning Goal At Stamford Bridge [Europa League Round of 32 – Leg 2]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 9:30 AM EST
A last-moment score by Eden Hazard moved Chelsea through to the Round of 16 in Europa League with a 2-1 aggregate victory over Sparta Prague at Stamford Bridge on Thursday in the second leg, 1-1.
Hazard, who was the only substitute for the Blues, drilled a left-foot shot from distance just before the final whistle to send Chelsea through, and avoid 30 minutes of added time and possibly penalty kicks.
Sparta Prague got on the board in the 17th minute with a goal from David Lafata, who one-touched a pass inside the box to beat Petr Cech. Vaclav Kadlec did a fine job of setting up Lafata, and the 31-year-old delivered to level Sparta on aggregate.
It was an organized defensive effort by Sparta Prague that left Chelsea frustrated for much of the second half. Sparta appeared to be more precise with their passes, and gave the Blues a tougher time than many expected in London.
Chelsea had their chances, though. Ramires hit the post in the 47th minute with a hard shot from the right side. Goalkeeper Tomas Vaclik denied John Terry from perhaps the best goal of his career with a athletic save in the 59th minute.
Sparta controlled possession for 53 percent of the match. Chelsea took 18 shots, with seven on target, while Sparta took 10 shots with four on goal.
Cheslea face Manchester City on Sunday at Etihad Stadium in Premier League action.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More