VIDEO Chelsea 1–1 Sparta Prague: Highlights Of Eden Hazard’s Brilliant Game-Winning Goal At Stamford Bridge [Europa League Round of 32 – Leg 2]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 9:30 AM EST
A last-moment score by Eden Hazard moved Chelsea through to the Round of 16 in Europa League with a 2-1 aggregate victory over Sparta Prague at Stamford Bridge on Thursday in the second leg, 1-1.
Hazard, who was the only substitute for the Blues, drilled a left-foot shot from distance just before the final whistle to send Chelsea through, and avoid 30 minutes of added time and possibly penalty kicks.
Sparta Prague got on the board in the 17th minute with a goal from David Lafata, who one-touched a pass inside the box to beat Petr Cech. Vaclav Kadlec did a fine job of setting up Lafata, and the 31-year-old delivered to level Sparta on aggregate.
It was an organized defensive effort by Sparta Prague that left Chelsea frustrated for much of the second half. Sparta appeared to be more precise with their passes, and gave the Blues a tougher time than many expected in London.
Chelsea had their chances, though. Ramires hit the post in the 47th minute with a hard shot from the right side. Goalkeeper Tomas Vaclik denied John Terry from perhaps the best goal of his career with a athletic save in the 59th minute.
Sparta controlled possession for 53 percent of the match. Chelsea took 18 shots, with seven on target, while Sparta took 10 shots with four on goal.
Cheslea face Manchester City on Sunday at Etihad Stadium in Premier League action.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Signs Using Odom’s Surname; Source Reveals Khloe Still ‘Proud’ Of Being Called Mrs. Odom