VIDEO Chelsea 1–1 Sparta Prague: Highlights Of Eden Hazard’s Brilliant Game-Winning Goal At Stamford Bridge [Europa League Round of 32 – Leg 2]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 9:30 AM EST
A last-moment score by Eden Hazard moved Chelsea through to the Round of 16 in Europa League with a 2-1 aggregate victory over Sparta Prague at Stamford Bridge on Thursday in the second leg, 1-1.
Hazard, who was the only substitute for the Blues, drilled a left-foot shot from distance just before the final whistle to send Chelsea through, and avoid 30 minutes of added time and possibly penalty kicks.
Sparta Prague got on the board in the 17th minute with a goal from David Lafata, who one-touched a pass inside the box to beat Petr Cech. Vaclav Kadlec did a fine job of setting up Lafata, and the 31-year-old delivered to level Sparta on aggregate.
It was an organized defensive effort by Sparta Prague that left Chelsea frustrated for much of the second half. Sparta appeared to be more precise with their passes, and gave the Blues a tougher time than many expected in London.
Chelsea had their chances, though. Ramires hit the post in the 47th minute with a hard shot from the right side. Goalkeeper Tomas Vaclik denied John Terry from perhaps the best goal of his career with a athletic save in the 59th minute.
Sparta controlled possession for 53 percent of the match. Chelsea took 18 shots, with seven on target, while Sparta took 10 shots with four on goal.
Cheslea face Manchester City on Sunday at Etihad Stadium in Premier League action.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers