VIDEO Chelsea 1–1 Sparta Prague: Highlights Of Eden Hazard’s Brilliant Game-Winning Goal At Stamford Bridge [Europa League Round of 32 – Leg 2]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 9:30 AM EST
A last-moment score by Eden Hazard moved Chelsea through to the Round of 16 in Europa League with a 2-1 aggregate victory over Sparta Prague at Stamford Bridge on Thursday in the second leg, 1-1.
Hazard, who was the only substitute for the Blues, drilled a left-foot shot from distance just before the final whistle to send Chelsea through, and avoid 30 minutes of added time and possibly penalty kicks.
Sparta Prague got on the board in the 17th minute with a goal from David Lafata, who one-touched a pass inside the box to beat Petr Cech. Vaclav Kadlec did a fine job of setting up Lafata, and the 31-year-old delivered to level Sparta on aggregate.
It was an organized defensive effort by Sparta Prague that left Chelsea frustrated for much of the second half. Sparta appeared to be more precise with their passes, and gave the Blues a tougher time than many expected in London.
Chelsea had their chances, though. Ramires hit the post in the 47th minute with a hard shot from the right side. Goalkeeper Tomas Vaclik denied John Terry from perhaps the best goal of his career with a athletic save in the 59th minute.
Sparta controlled possession for 53 percent of the match. Chelsea took 18 shots, with seven on target, while Sparta took 10 shots with four on goal.
Cheslea face Manchester City on Sunday at Etihad Stadium in Premier League action.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’