Pearl Jam's 'Ten' Hits 10 Million Sold Mark, Joining Metallica, Adele & Others
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 9:13 AM EST
Over two decades have passed since it helped usher in the grunge era but Pearl Jam’s “Ten” has finally sold 10 million copies. The hard rock group that’s attracted fans and music critics by adhering to a strict guideline of artistic integrity now joins major acts including Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys in the so-called Diamond-selling status.
“Ten,” Pearl Jam’s debut album, is the 22nd album to sell 10 million copies since 1991, when Nielsen SoundScan began tabulating data, as noted by USA Today. The record sold 4,000 copies in the week ending on Feb. 17, surpassing the marl of 10 million sold in the United States.
“I’m happily shocked to hear that. Wow,” guitarist Mike McCready told Billboard. “We had no idea that it was ever going to do that well. I just felt like it was a really cool record and that I was in a good band.”
Any music fan who has turned on hard rock radio in the past two decades is almost certainly familiar with the landmark record. “Even Flow,” “Jeremy,” and “Alive” have all become staples on the airwaves because of swirling, Hendrix-esque guitars and Eddie Vedder’s signature bellow.
“Ten” joins Usher’s “Confessions,” Linkin Park’s “Hybrid Theory,” and Adele’s “21” among the four albums to break 10 million sales since the start of 2012. The highest selling album since SoundScan began in 1991 is Metallica’s self-titled 1991 album with 15.86 million copies sold, followed by Shania Twain’s “Come On Over” with 15.53 million, then “Jagged Little Pill” by Alanis Morissette at 14.82 million.
Unlike other so-called grunge bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden Pearl Jam has not only endured but arguably reached greater musical achievement than their debut album may have suggested. The group is currently working on a new record, their first since 2009’s “Backspacer,” and has scheduled concert dates for summer 2013.
The band’s genesis was even less likely than the success Pearl Jam has achived, though. The roots of the band can be found in Mother Love Bone, a similar heavy rock group that sought a new singer after the death of vocalist Andrew Wood. A tape of instrumental songs the group was working on after Wood’s death eventually made its way to Vedder, who was working in a gas station at the time and thought up the lyrics to much of “Ten” during a surfing trip.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS