Lindy Ruff Fired: Second-Longest Head Coach In Sports Dismissed After Buffalo Sabres Poor Start
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 9:14 AM EST
A titan of Western New York lost his job on Wednesday when the Buffalo Sabres fired Lindy Ruff after 16 years behind the bench. Ruff’s dismissal comes after he coached 1,165 games in the National Hockey League, all with the same team. He was the second-longest tenured coach in all of professional sports, behind only Greg Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs.
Ruff was so popular in Buffalo because of his decades-long status with the beloved Sabres. He played for the team from 1979 until 1989 before being hired as coach in the 1997-1998 season. All told, he spent 26 seasons with the team, charming fans with a quick wit and generous personality.
In a sport where coaches rarely last more than a few seasons, Ruff survived ownership changes, led the Sabres to the conference finals four times and a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1999. He won the Jack Adams award for best coach after the 2005-2006 season. Since Ruff was hired in 1997 170 other coaches have lost their jobs.
But fans will hope his firing is the culmination of over two ugly seasons for the Sabres, during which they’ve looked lackadaisical and uninterested, traits that are especially foreboding in a primarily momentum-won sport. His last game with the team was Tuesday night’s 2-1 loss to the Winnipeg Jets, a bottom feeder in the Eastern Conference the Sabres were predicted to dominate this season.
Many of the players on the team had only played in the NHL for Ruff, and the news still hadn’t set in on Thursday as they prepared for a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs under interim head coach Ron Rolston, promoted from Buffalo’s minor league affiliate. Star goaltender Ryan Miller told ESPN part of the blame lies in the locker room.
“Lindy did a lot for me in my career,” Miller said. “He gave me an opportunity to go in the net…We had some good years and some tough ones in there too. But we went through the ups and downs and I have a lot of respect for him. Considering how long he’s been there, I wish we had done better by him so he could have had a little bit of a cleaner break, I guess. Although in pro sports, you rarely get that.”
Ruff was let go by the same man who hired him in general manager Darcy Regier. Regier had previously said that as long as he was in charge Ruff would remain the coach, but on Wednesday the GM visited his longtime friend, delivering the news in Ruff’s living room. Ruff later said his goodbyes when the team was on the bus awaiting travel to Toronto.
“You could see the disappointment in his eyes and there’s nothing you could say to make him feel better,” said winger Thomas Vanek. “I shook his hand and said sorry I couldn’t be better for him. At the end of the day, the coach gets fired, it’s a reflection of your team and I’m a leader on this team.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report