Woman, 104, Lies About Age On Facebook: Marguerite Joseph Barred From Entering Her Real Age Due To Site Error [PHOTOS]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 22, 2013 3:52 AM EST
Some say age is just a number, but for Marguerite Joseph, she’s proud of being 104-years-old and would love to share that with the world.
However, the elderly woman had to lie after she was unable to put her real age on Facebook because the social media giant didn’t allow her to do so. According to ClickOnDetroit.com, Joseph, who will soon turn 105-years-old, was unable to put her real age on the social networking site when selecting the year 1908 was not an option.
“I was actually born on April 19, 1908 which makes me 102 years old but Facebook wouldn't let me enter in a date that goes back that far,” Joseph wrote in the “About Me” section of her profile.
Her granddaughter Gail Marlow helped set Joseph, who is hard of hearing and legally blind, up with an account. However, every time she tried to select the year 1908, it reverted back to 1928, keeping her stuck at 99-years-old.
"Every time I tried to change the settings to the right year, Facebook always came back with an unknown error message and would send us right back to a year she wasn’t born in," Marlow said. "I would love to see her real age on Facebook, I mean in April she’s going to be 105. It’s special."
The error prompted Marlow to seek out Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to report the problem they have been experiencing for the past four years.
“I am just chalking it up as a glitch in the system,” said Marlow, who added she has sent message after message to Zuckerberg with no reply. However, Facebook issued a statement following the publicity of Joseph’s story, saying: "We've recently discovered an issue whereby some Facebook users may be unable to enter a birthday before 1910. We are working on a fix for this and we apologize for the inconvenience."
For now, the duo continues to use the site despite the error. Marlow said she reads and responds to all of Joseph’s messages and posts on Facebook, where she has 109 friends and 84 pictures, according to ClickOnDetroit. In Joseph’s bio on the site, she wrote: “P.S. Due to my eyesight, my Granddaughter Gail is in charge of all my postings and responses. She reads me my public and private messages regularly.”
“I cherish this time we spend together,” said Marlow. “She gets that we’re on the internet, she gets that we’re talking to relatives does she understand social media? Probably not. This is an opportunity for me to share her with the world and I truly believe being online has helped keep her young.”
In fact, it’s miraculous she even joined Facebook, according to Marlow, who said her family was shocked to see Joseph online.
"All of our family members always asked how grandma was doing on my Facebook page," Marlow said. "So I decided I would set up a page of her own so she could stay connected to her family in Canada."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate