ECB's Draghi does his bit with salary to fight inflation
February 22, 2013 4:00 AM EST
It's the European Central Bank's job to keep euro zone inflation in check and its boss appears to be doing his bit.
Mario Draghi's pay rose just 0.8 percent last year compared with what he and his predecessor as president, Jean-Claude Trichet, earned in 2011, ECB data shows.
The ECB targets inflation at below, but close to 2 percent.
Draghi is probably not hurting, however. He made 374,128 euros ($500,200) last year. On top of that, the Italian has the right to live for free at an ECB-owned residence.
Other Executive Board members also received similar pay raises, meaning their buying power decreased as prices rose 2.5 percent in the 17-country common currency bloc.
($1 = 0.7479 euros)
(Reporting by Sakari Suoninen. Editing by Jeremy Gaunt.)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence