Pinterest Valuation Reaches $2.5 Billion After Its $200 Million Funding Spree
By Yannick LeJacq | February 22, 2013 3:43 AM EST
Pinterest has raised another $200 million in fundraising, bringing the company’s total valuation to $2.5 billion. The latest fundraising round was led by Valiant Capital Management, though existing high profile investors such as Andreesen Horowitz, Bessemer Venture Partners, and FirstMark Capital also participated.
"Our focus is on helping millions of people discover things they love," Pinterest chief executive office Ben Silbermann said in a statement. "This investment gives us more resources to help realize that vision."
The online image sharing and social networking service saw enormous growth over the past year -- jumping to 48 million monthly visitors last December compared to just nine million in the previous year, according to data provided by comScore (NASDAQ:SCOR). In a statement confirming the new valuation, which was first reported by AllThingsD, Pinterest said it plans to use the funding for expanding its personnel and international user base by focusing on “strategic acquisitions of both talent and technology.”
Launched in March 2010, Pinterest made its first acquisition last month when it purchased the recipe site Punchfork. The company’s last round of fundraising took place in May 2012 and was led by the Japanese e-commerce company Rakuten (PINK:RKUNF). That fundraising round brought in $100 million, putting Pinterest at a $1.5 billion valuation with $140 of total capital raised. The company has now raised approximately $337 million in financing.
Pinterest’s commercial and cultural expansion follows in the footsteps of other prominent Internet businesses such as Facebook (NASDAQ:FB), Groupon (NASDAQ:GRPN) and Zynga (NASDAQ:ZNGA), all of which received substantial investment through private fundraising before making initial public offerings.
Given the financial backlash against these companies -- all three still remain below the initial market values set by their IPOs -- Pinterest, however, might avoid rushing to market. Even Twitter, its fellow rising star of social media that’s already valued at $11 billion, has only offered the smallest of hints about its plans for an IPO. And as Facebook has struggled to enhance its own e-commerce offerings by even offering Pinterest-like features, a social network still in its startup stage of development has the advantage of experimenting with different monetization tactics and business strategies before facing all the pressures of a public company. Seeing the misfires of the past generation of Internet firms, these companies are realizing the benefit of taking their sweet time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Liverpool FC Transfer News: Deal Falls Through as QPR Striker Fails Medical
- Pretty Little Liars Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Where to Watch Online, Live Stream Scream for Me
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Gunners Boss Key in Young Southampton Defender Signing
- The Bachelor Spinoff: What to Watch After The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale: Bachelor in Paradise Airdate, Cast Members and What to Expect
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Gunners Sign Teenage Sensation Calum Chambers from Southampton
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]