Fed's Fisher wants to taper off QE this year if economy improves
February 22, 2013 3:42 AM EST
The Federal Reserve will one day have to "taper" off its bond-buying program rather than halt it outright, and the best time to do that would probably be later this year, a top Federal Reserve official said on Thursday.
"You don't go from wild turkey to cold turkey, you have tapering in between," said Dallas Fed President Richard Fisher, who said he would prefer to start unwinding the bond buying program "sooner rather than later."
"We should begin to taper this thing off as unemployment improves," Fisher said in an interview with Reuters. "If the economy continues to improve, I personally would expect that to be sometime this year."
Fisher, a long-time skeptic of the Fed's ultra easy monetary policy, also known as quantitative easing, or QE, is not a voter on the Fed's policy-setting panel this year.
(Reporting by Steven C. Johnson; Editing by James Dalgleish)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28