Oscar Pistorius: South Africa Police Chief to Replace Hilton Botha
By Hannah Osborne | February 22, 2013 3:10 AM EST
Olympic and Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius shot dead his girlfriend in the early hours of 14 February .
At the bail hearing for Pistorius, details emerged that Botha, who was one of the first people to arrive at the scene, is himself facing seven charges of attempted murder.
As a result, the South Africa Police Service has dropped Botha from the case and replaced him with Lieutenant General Vineshkumar Moonoo.
Moonoo was made divisional commissioner of the SAPS Detective Service in 2011. He became a detective in 1984 and has spent 27 years working for the police.
He will be working with the head of police as part of a "formidable team" that will "transparently report" their findings, Phiyega said.
South Africa's "top detective" will now "gather a team of highly skilled and experience detectives" to aid him in the investigation, she said.
Phiyega said Botha is not suspended and will still be working while the charges against him are investigated.
She said police will join the National Prosecuting Authority for the internal investigation of Botha.
The SAPS was aware of the investigation into Botha but that it was withdrawn from court before being referred to the NPA. "We will be investigating departmental processes," Phiyega said.
She denied there was a lack of communication between the NPA and the police, adding that "we do not lynch people" so Botha must go through court proceedings before being condemned for a crime.
Phiyega said the emergence of the investigation surrounding Botha was "not embarrassing for us", saying it was a "coincidence" he was assigned to the Pistorius case: "I wish I had a crystal ball," she said.
When pressed on Pistorius's case, Phiyega said only that it was a bail hearing and not a trial. She said police will now investigate Steenkamp's death and gather evidence for the trial.
Pistorius' bail hearing will enter its fourth day tomorrow morning. The prosecution will finish presenting its case before Judge Desmond Nair makes a decision on whether to grant the athlete bail or not.
Defence lawyers say there is no reason why he should not be granted bail, as there is no proof to debunk Pistorius' account of events that led to Steenkamp's death - he says he thought she was a burglar and shot because he felt vulnerable.
Prosecutors say the Olympian had a violent streak and that he had premeditated murder.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers