Oscar Pistorius: South Africa Police Chief to Replace Hilton Botha
By Hannah Osborne | February 22, 2013 3:10 AM EST
Olympic and Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius shot dead his girlfriend in the early hours of 14 February .
At the bail hearing for Pistorius, details emerged that Botha, who was one of the first people to arrive at the scene, is himself facing seven charges of attempted murder.
As a result, the South Africa Police Service has dropped Botha from the case and replaced him with Lieutenant General Vineshkumar Moonoo.
Moonoo was made divisional commissioner of the SAPS Detective Service in 2011. He became a detective in 1984 and has spent 27 years working for the police.
He will be working with the head of police as part of a "formidable team" that will "transparently report" their findings, Phiyega said.
South Africa's "top detective" will now "gather a team of highly skilled and experience detectives" to aid him in the investigation, she said.
Phiyega said Botha is not suspended and will still be working while the charges against him are investigated.
She said police will join the National Prosecuting Authority for the internal investigation of Botha.
The SAPS was aware of the investigation into Botha but that it was withdrawn from court before being referred to the NPA. "We will be investigating departmental processes," Phiyega said.
She denied there was a lack of communication between the NPA and the police, adding that "we do not lynch people" so Botha must go through court proceedings before being condemned for a crime.
Phiyega said the emergence of the investigation surrounding Botha was "not embarrassing for us", saying it was a "coincidence" he was assigned to the Pistorius case: "I wish I had a crystal ball," she said.
When pressed on Pistorius's case, Phiyega said only that it was a bail hearing and not a trial. She said police will now investigate Steenkamp's death and gather evidence for the trial.
Pistorius' bail hearing will enter its fourth day tomorrow morning. The prosecution will finish presenting its case before Judge Desmond Nair makes a decision on whether to grant the athlete bail or not.
Defence lawyers say there is no reason why he should not be granted bail, as there is no proof to debunk Pistorius' account of events that led to Steenkamp's death - he says he thought she was a burglar and shot because he felt vulnerable.
Prosecutors say the Olympian had a violent streak and that he had premeditated murder.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet