Mt Etna Eruption: Another Apocalyptic Portent? (VIDEO & PHOTOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 22, 2013 12:52 AM EST
Doomsday prophets will again have a field day forecasting an Apocalypse, following the eruption of Mt. Etna in Italy on Tuesday.
The eruption provided a spectacular fireworks display that was caused by Europe's tallest volcano spewing out hot lava and gas toward the sky.
Klaus Dorchfeldt, videographer and webmaster of Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology caught the eruption on video.
The volcano had exhibited restive signs the past few weeks and on Jan 22, lava and strong flashes were observed at its New Southeast Crater, seen clearly from the Sicilian foothills. Its Bocca Nuova Crater also erupted in 2011 for 10 days, from Jan 10 to 20.
Mr Dorschfeldt was on a volcano watch since he was aware that Mt Etna's recent signals are indicators of new activity.
"I've followed the activity of Etna for many years, and with time you learn to know it as if it were your friend . . . Following it constantly you learn to be a keen observe and a minor change can lead to something important," OurAmazingPlanet quoted Mr Dorschfeldt.
He observed three paroxysmal eruptive episodes in less than 36 hours. He warned that while the local population has no immediate danger from lava flows, air travelers could be affected by the ash plume.
The volcanic eruption would likely be tied up to recent end-of-the-world scenarios being theorised following several events such as the meteor shower last week in Russia, the near hit of an asteroid and even religious events such as the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, said to be the precedent for an end-times pope.
Experts, however, pointed out that super-eruptions are very rare, and the odds that one will happen in our lifetimes is very, very small. Based on research, taking into account the full span of the earth's geologic history, chances of a super-eruption is on the average once every 700,000 years, geologists said.
"There has been only on super-eruption in more than 100,000 years, so odds are miniscule for either near-future or within our lifetime," OurAmazingPlanet quoted Mr Shindell.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- 'Human Skull' Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting: UFO Spotted Above Las Vegas, Nevada
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientists Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- Alien Toy Doll Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- Leonardo DiCaprio Donates $2M To Fight Illegal Fishing And Support Oceans
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage