Wal-Mart Stores 4Q Profit Beats Estimates But Same-Store Sales And Revenue Misses
February 21, 2013 11:36 PM EST
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE:WMT), the world’s largest retailer, reported fourth-quarter earnings up 8.6 percent, beating Wall Street expectations despite lower revenue than analysts were anticipating.
The Bentonville, Ark., company also boosted its fiscal 2014 full-year dividend 18 percent.
In its fiscal 2013 fourth-quarter, which ended Jan. 31, 2013, Wal-Mart earned $5.61 billion, or $1.67 per share, compared with $5.16 billion, or $1.51 per share, in the year-earlier period.
Analysts polled by Bloomberg News expected $1.57 per share, and Wal-Mart had forecast earnings per share for the three-month period of $1.53 to $1.58 per share.
Revenue rose 3.9 percent to $127.10 billion from $122.29 billion in the year-earlier period.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’