Ricky Ponting Agrees Two-Month Surrey Deal to Replace Graeme Smith
By Nick Howson | February 21, 2013 9:02 PM EST
Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting has signed a two-month with Surrey as a replacement for Graeme Smith, the Division One side have confirmed.
Smith joined on a three-year deal ahead of the new season in November and will be available for 10 County Championship matches as well as Twenty20 and 40-over competitions.
But his involvement in the Champions Trophy for South Africa between 6-23 June rules him out of action for Surrey, with Ponting set to initially replace him, while continuing to feature during the month of July.
Ponting completes an all-star batting line up at the Kia Oval, alongside Proteas skipper Smith and England batsman Kevin Pietersen.
"I'm really excited to be playing for Surrey this season," Ponting said. "They are a forward thinking and historic club - and play at one of the greatest grounds in the world.
"It hasn't been the friendliest place for me but now it will be my home for two months this summer.
"I'd like to think I can contribute a significant amount to the club - on and off the field - and am looking forward to getting stuck in as soon as I arrive."
The 38 year old, who will feature in the India Premier League for Mumbai Indians in April and May, has endured contrasting fortunes while playing in England having led Australia to successive Ashes series defeats in 2005 and 2009 and averaging 41.79 with the bat in 20 test matches.
"We knew we would lose Graeme to the ICC Champions Trophy in June," Surrey team director Chris Adams said. "That given, we focused on recruiting the best possible replacement and, in Ricky Ponting, we have signed one of the greatest batsmen of the modern era.
"This year, our young batsmen will enjoy a unique opportunity to learn from not just one but two of the greatest International players of the modern age."
With a recent double century for Tasmania, Ponting's career has failed to let up since his retirement from international cricket last November citing his significant drop in form with the bat.
He finished as the second highest run scorers in international cricket history with 13,378 at an average of 51.85 and is regarded as one of the great players of the modern era.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers