Alien Slime Link to Somerset Comet Path Now 'Doubtful'
By Dominic Gover | February 21, 2013 8:57 PM EST
Mystery slime which appeared at a Somerset beauty spot may have come from outer space, after claims emerged of a 'comet' spotted in the area.
Alien-looking blobs appeared around Ham Well reserve in Somerset last week. Then pictures emerged of a UFO blazing a trail through the sky in the area.
The origin of the craft, which was snapped in the sky over Avalon Marshes, remains unexplained. Speculation on what exactly it was ranges from a flaming space satellite to a small Chinese lantern.
Wildlife photographer Annie Henderson spoke of the moment it appeared while she was snapping local birds.
"We were out photographing the starlings at 5.25pm and saw the bright thing in the sky, but thought it was just a high flying plane or a satellite.
"It was only the next morning that I uploaded the pictures on my computer and saw what was on the pictures when I zoomed in."
Drawing a causal link between the slime and the UFO is difficult and now speculation is claiming the alien goo may not be extra-terrestrial at all. Instead, frogs could be at the heart of the mystery.
The translucent goo could be the inedible part of a frog or toad coughed up by a bird. The ovaries can explode into a jelly-like mass.
Or it could be the leftover jelly from amphibian eggs from offspring which hatched and then quit the area.
Another theory has the unexplained slime as a funghi, which are often found after rainfall.
The incidents came to light in the wake of a huge asteroid strike in the Urals, in Russia. The space rock crashed to Earth in a shower of debris - causing panic, injuring up to 1,000 people and generating hours of sensational video footage.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate