Alien Slime Link to Somerset Comet Path Now 'Doubtful'
By Dominic Gover | February 21, 2013 8:57 PM EST
Mystery slime which appeared at a Somerset beauty spot may have come from outer space, after claims emerged of a 'comet' spotted in the area.
Alien-looking blobs appeared around Ham Well reserve in Somerset last week. Then pictures emerged of a UFO blazing a trail through the sky in the area.
The origin of the craft, which was snapped in the sky over Avalon Marshes, remains unexplained. Speculation on what exactly it was ranges from a flaming space satellite to a small Chinese lantern.
Wildlife photographer Annie Henderson spoke of the moment it appeared while she was snapping local birds.
"We were out photographing the starlings at 5.25pm and saw the bright thing in the sky, but thought it was just a high flying plane or a satellite.
"It was only the next morning that I uploaded the pictures on my computer and saw what was on the pictures when I zoomed in."
Drawing a causal link between the slime and the UFO is difficult and now speculation is claiming the alien goo may not be extra-terrestrial at all. Instead, frogs could be at the heart of the mystery.
The translucent goo could be the inedible part of a frog or toad coughed up by a bird. The ovaries can explode into a jelly-like mass.
Or it could be the leftover jelly from amphibian eggs from offspring which hatched and then quit the area.
Another theory has the unexplained slime as a funghi, which are often found after rainfall.
The incidents came to light in the wake of a huge asteroid strike in the Urals, in Russia. The space rock crashed to Earth in a shower of debris - causing panic, injuring up to 1,000 people and generating hours of sensational video footage.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand