B&Q Owner Kingfisher Hit By Consumer Weakness and UK's Bad Weather
By Shane Croucher | February 21, 2013 8:30 PM EST
Kingfisher, the home improvement retail group that owns B&Q, said it expects its full-year profit to meet expectations despite the difficult trading environment and a tough final quarter of 2012.
Reporting the group's fourth quarter results, Kingfisher said like-for-like sales had fallen by 3.4 percent on the same period a year before as global consumer weakness and bad weather in the UK weighed heavily.
However total sales were up 1.5 percent to £2.39bn.
"Thanks to the hard work of our teams and our established programme of self-help initiatives, we end the year in good shape with a strong balance sheet and higher market share," said Ian Cheshire, Kingfisher's chief executive.
Kingfisher has more than a thousand stores across Europe and Asia and is the third-largest home improvement retail group in the world.
Its flagship UK and Ireland retailer, B&Q, saw sales tumble in the fourth quarter by 6.4 percent on the year before, falling to £842m as ongoing consumer weakness exacerbated by high living costs and stagnant wage growth continues to hamper domestic demand.
However sales in Kingfisher's French retailer Castorama were up 1.5 percent to £494m, though like-for-likes were down 0.4 percent.
"Erratic weather and a cautious consumer meant another weak quarter for the DIY sector and, as the UK's leading specialist, Kingfisher has inevitably been exposed," said Matt Piner, Research Director at retail analyst Conlumino.
"Kingfisher needs better weather and an improved housing market if it is to see a stronger 2013."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Investigation into Cause of Crash Could Stretch to a Year; Black Box May Not Prove Missile as Cause
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales