Salford Teen Travis Barber Dies After Taking Ecstasy Tablet
By Hannah Osborne | February 21, 2013 8:22 PM EST
A teenager from Salford died after taking a Pink Love tablet, prompting police to issue a warning about ecstasy use.
Travis Barber, 19, was found dead in his home on Light Oaks Road on 17 February.
Manchester Police initially treated his death as suspicious as he suffered multiple injuries.
However, a post mortem has concluded that although the exact cause of death cannot be determined, his injuries are consistent with accidental trauma.
Toxicology tests are now being conducted to establish exactly how the personal trainer died, but it is thought ecstasy could be a contributing factor.
Kevin Mulligan, chief superintendent, said: "This was a tragic incident in which a young man has lost his life and we are continuing to support his family who are understandably devastated.
"Our enquiries have revealed that Travis was last seen alive on Friday 15th February 2013, when he took an ecstasy tablet in the shape of a pink heart.
"At this stage we believe there is a possibility this could have been a factor leading to his death.
"We are very concerned about the use of these and similar drugs and the impact they can have on the user's health. We would strongly advise any people using or experimenting with such drugs who experience any adverse effects, to seek urgent medical assistance.
Two hospitalised in North Wales
"I urge people not to take illegal drugs as you do not know what is in them. They can contain poisons and illicit chemicals that can have potentially fatal effects.
"If you have any information about controlled drugs or these heart-shaped ecstasy tablets, I would ask you to contact police as soon as possible. We will treat the details you supply with the strictest of confidence."
In a statement, Barber's mother Louise said: "Travis loved music and playing the guitar and he was a wonderful son who was very much loved by his family, who are all devastated by his death."
Barber's death from the pink heart pills follows a warning from police in North Wales when two people were admitted to hospital after taking heart-shaped pills.
Police said the Pink Love and Green Apple tablets taken by party-goers are dangerous and can have fatal consequences.
Thomas Jones, 19, from Llangefni, died on 2 February after taking a Green Apple tablet.
Acting chief inspector Simon Barrasford said: "Both the Pink Love and Green Apple tablets are being used by party-goers and I want to make it very clear that the consequences of taking these tablets can be fatal."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko