Salford Teen Travis Barber Dies After Taking Ecstasy Tablet
By Hannah Osborne | February 21, 2013 8:22 PM EST
A teenager from Salford died after taking a Pink Love tablet, prompting police to issue a warning about ecstasy use.
Travis Barber, 19, was found dead in his home on Light Oaks Road on 17 February.
Manchester Police initially treated his death as suspicious as he suffered multiple injuries.
However, a post mortem has concluded that although the exact cause of death cannot be determined, his injuries are consistent with accidental trauma.
Toxicology tests are now being conducted to establish exactly how the personal trainer died, but it is thought ecstasy could be a contributing factor.
Kevin Mulligan, chief superintendent, said: "This was a tragic incident in which a young man has lost his life and we are continuing to support his family who are understandably devastated.
"Our enquiries have revealed that Travis was last seen alive on Friday 15th February 2013, when he took an ecstasy tablet in the shape of a pink heart.
"At this stage we believe there is a possibility this could have been a factor leading to his death.
"We are very concerned about the use of these and similar drugs and the impact they can have on the user's health. We would strongly advise any people using or experimenting with such drugs who experience any adverse effects, to seek urgent medical assistance.
Two hospitalised in North Wales
"I urge people not to take illegal drugs as you do not know what is in them. They can contain poisons and illicit chemicals that can have potentially fatal effects.
"If you have any information about controlled drugs or these heart-shaped ecstasy tablets, I would ask you to contact police as soon as possible. We will treat the details you supply with the strictest of confidence."
In a statement, Barber's mother Louise said: "Travis loved music and playing the guitar and he was a wonderful son who was very much loved by his family, who are all devastated by his death."
Barber's death from the pink heart pills follows a warning from police in North Wales when two people were admitted to hospital after taking heart-shaped pills.
Police said the Pink Love and Green Apple tablets taken by party-goers are dangerous and can have fatal consequences.
Thomas Jones, 19, from Llangefni, died on 2 February after taking a Green Apple tablet.
Acting chief inspector Simon Barrasford said: "Both the Pink Love and Green Apple tablets are being used by party-goers and I want to make it very clear that the consequences of taking these tablets can be fatal."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers