Man United and Chelsea Submit Bids for Hamburg Striker, Confirms Agent
By Adrian Back | February 21, 2013 8:18 PM EST
The 20-year-old only recently signed a new contract extension after progressing through the youth academy and forcing his way into the first team plans of Hamburg manager Thorsten Fink.
Son first joined the German side when he was 16 after making the bold decision to leave South Korea in order to pursue a career in Europe. He has since gone on to make more than 60 appearances for the Bundesliga club and has played an important role in the first team this season.
He has scored nine league goals which appears to have caught the attention of Manchester United and Chelsea, both of whom are said to have approached Hamburg over a possible deal for the striker.
Son's agent, Thies Bliemeister, confirmed the interest of the Premier League duo, whilst also revealing that Italian giants Internazionale had sent representatives to watch the striker in action.
"Inter Milan's emissaries saw a couple of his matches, but so far I have not had any contact with the Italian club's officials," he told Interlive, as reported by Sky Sports.
"A transfer in the next summer? He has signed a new contract with Hamburg SV extending it for one year, but there have been many offers for him as from Manchester United and Chelsea."
It is unclear whether these offers came during the January transfer window or whether they were attempting to broker a deal that would see him move in the summer.
His contract now expires in the summer of 2014 so if Hamburg believe he is interested in leaving then they may be forced to cash in on the striker at the end of the season rather than risk him running down his contract.
The forward has made 16 appearances for South Korea, scoring one goal, and was involved in a friendly earlier this month as they were beaten 4-0 by Croatia.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’