PlayStation 4 Will Allow Playing of Second Hand Games [VIDEO]
By Alistair Charlton | February 21, 2013 8:15 PM EST
The PlayStation 4 will support second-hand games, Sony has revealed after it was widely speculated that the next-generation console, announced last night, would not play used games.
Speaking to Eurogamer, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said - after much hesitation and a chat with his PR representative - that the PlayStation 4 will work with pre-owned games.
"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?" Yoshida told the gaming website. Speaking of what users want, he said: "Yes, [playing used games] is the general expectation by consumers. They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."
This news will come as a relief to potential PlayStation 4 owners, who were concerned recently about the unearthing of a Sony patent for a system that would block the use of second-hand games.
The patent suggested that discs would come branded with a contactless tag that would be recognised by your console, linking the two and making it impossible for the game to be played on any other PS4.
Sony also announced that the PS4 will not be backwards-compatible and not play original PlayStation, PS2 or PS3 games. As a compromise, Sony will offer games from its old consoles online through PlayStation Cloud, from they can be streamed to the new console.
The PlayStation 4 was announced at a media event in New York, and although Sony showed off the new DualShock 4 controller with a touch-sensitive panel like the PS Vita, the console itself was not shown. Instead, Sony announced a number of games that would be available for the PS4, including Destiny by Halo developer Bungie.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to Feature Retina Scanner Challenging iPad Retina and iPhone 6
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015