Analysts Peg Net Borrowing Below ₹5 Trillion
February 21, 2013 7:40 PM EST
A growing chorus of analysts expect India to keep net borrowing below 5 trillion rupees. Analysts have put faith in Finance Minister P. Chidambaram's fiscal discipline, with budget projections factoring in a 4.8 percent deficit, similar to the official forecast.
That may trigger a rally in bonds in 2013, with yields having potential to fall to 7.25 pct.
Goldman Sachs estimates net borrowing at 4.91 trillion rupees with gross at 5.86 trillion rupees.
RBI may need to carry out 1 trillion rupees of OMOs in FY14 to meet government demand, anchor bond yields, bank says. It has a target for average 10-year bond yield for FY14 in 7.25-7.50 percent range.
Credit Suisse has an estimate of 4.7 trillion rupees for net borrowing, with the possibility of an upside if the government decides on buybacks.
Standard Chartered estimates net borrowing to be on the lower side of around 4.2-4.4 trillion rupees as it estimates 600 billion rupees of the current cash surplus going into funding the FY14 deficit.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- Australia’s Richest People Under 30 in 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date