Update Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 to Android
4.2.2 Jelly Bean with CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM [How to Install]
Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 is among the lucky few Android devices to receive the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware via the popular CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) Nightly ROM. The custom firmware reportedly brings near perfect and pure (stock) Android experience with minimal bugs or barely noticeable issues.
The CM10.1 Nightly ROM brings a host of latest Jelly Bean features with its Android 4.2.2 build, which is based on the original Android Open Source Project (AOSP) release.
NOTE: As the firmware is a nightly release, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features leading to FC errors, boot loops, app crashes or in the worst case the phone may fail to boot. In any such case, just reinstall stock firmware or any other stable custom ROM.
Key Points to Note
- CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 on the computer (download USB drivers).
- Back up important data and settings on the tablet by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP recovery, in order to prevent data loss during firmware installation.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the tablet by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the tablet is running Android 2.3 or earlier). If the device is running Android 4.2, do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Tablet.
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number.
- Tap the Build Number for seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Now, select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Ensure that the tablet has at least 85 per cent battery charge before proceeding with the firmware installation.
- Verify that the device is factory unlockedand rooted with CWM recovery installed.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache Wipe before continuing from recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognise the tablet after installing the Android 4.2.2 CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM, as it is a custom release.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device during or after firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly ROM
Step 1 - Download Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 Nightly ROM and Google Apps for Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the tablet's USB mass storage on computer with original USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of tablet's SD card.
Step 4 - Then power off the tablet and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons together until the device boots into CWM Recovery.
Step 6 - In CWM recovery, perform a full data wipe first. Then browse and select Flash zip from SD card option by tapping the Power button.
Step 7 - Hit Power button again and click Choose zip from SD card.
Step 8 - Use volume keys to navigate to Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to the tablet's SD card and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 9 - Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, hit Go Back and tap Reboot System Now in the recovery menu. The tablet will reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, do not interrupt the process.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 CM10.1 Nightly ROM. Go to Settings > About tablet to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: