Oscar Pistorius: Detective in Case Faces Attempted Murder Charges [VIDEO]
By Vasudevan Sridharan | February 21, 2013 5:40 PM EST
South African detective Hilton Botha, who faced intense cross-examination on the second day of Oscar Pistorius's bail hearing, is now facing attempted murder charges himself.
Botha was the first officer to arrive at the scene following the death of Pistorius's girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day.
The veteran investigating officer will face trial in May over the attempted murder charges, along with two other officials, according to South Africa's Eyewitness News.
Botha faces seven counts of attempted murder, pertaining to a shooting incident that took place in 2011. Some media reports say the incident took place in 2009.
Botha, along with two other officers, was allegedly drunk and opened fire at a taxi carrying passengers. He was soon arrested for the incident.
However, higher officials intend to keep Botha as the lead detective in the Pistorius case.
"There was a decision by the DPP's office to charge the members, each one of them with seven counts of attempted murder. That was the number of people that were in the taxi. The member is innocent until proven guilty. The member was chosen by the station to do the investigation due to the fact that he is a senior," police spokesperson Neville Malila told the daily.
The report has come a day after Botha testified that Pistorius should not be given bail. However, during the cross-examination by Pistorius's lawyer Barry Roux, Botha conceded that the "applicant's version is consistent with the evidence".
Describing the questioning, Karyn Maughan, legal journalist at eNCA, tweeted from the courtroom: "Roux is destroying Botha. This is like watching a baby seal getting clubbed."
Botha was forced to modify crucial details during his cross-examination. He also admitted contaminating the crime scene unwittingly.
Soon after Botha's testimony, Pistorius's family said the "contradictions" in the detective's version of Steenkamp's death "are extremely concerning."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4