'End of the World’ 2013: St. Malachy Prophecy, Nostradamus, Comet ISON, and the ‘Last Pope’ Connections
By Arlene Paredes | February 21, 2013 5:23 PM EST
"End of the World" is becoming a subject of discussion again, just two months after the no-show of the Dec. 21 doomsday scenario. The Mayan calendar and asteroid Nibiru are no longer at the center of doomsday talks. This time, the Vatican, Nostradamus, St Malachy, and the Comet ISON are front and center of talks about the end of times.
Nostradamus and St Malachy are being cited as the source of predictions that the next pope will be the last pope, and his church reign shall herald the world's end. The Comet ISON is allegedly a manifestation of these predictions.
"End of the World" Interpretations with the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI
The resignation of Pope Benedict XVI effective Feb. 28 turned on the alarm for some people who have heard or read about "the last pope" as believed to have been predicted by St Malachy and Nostradamus. The predictions are somehow interpreted this way: The next pope will be the last one because "Judgment Day" will take place while the soon-to-be-named papal successor is seated.
Saint Malachy was a 12th century Irish Archbishop. He was known for some reported miraculous powers, such as healing and declaring prophecies. While in Rome in 1139 AD, he is said to have had a vision of all the future popes -- from Pope Celestine II (1143 AD) up to the reigning pope, Benedict XVI. According to some interpretations, the pope who succeeds Pope Benedict XVI will be the last one to sit in the Vatican before doomsday.
Nostradamus or Michel de Nostredame, was a 16th century French astrologer whose writings led many to believe that he has seen the end of the world as a seer. Accoring to various interpretations, Nostradamus predicted the pope to replace Benedict XVI will "flee Rome" in the month of December, at a time when the sky has two suns.
Incidentally, scientists are expecting Comet ISON to show up the sky in December 2013. "ISON's path is very similar to that of Kirch's Comet, a.k.a. Newton's Comet, a.k.a. the Great Comet of 1680, which was bright enough to be seen in daylight and had a magnificently long tail," reports TIME.com.
End of the World Talks Again -- What to Do?
With doomsday talks going on again, expect twisted interpretations and mixed up insights. If you're a parent, be prepared to explain these things to your children. If you're keen to read some fiction about it, try "The Last Pope," a 2006 novel by novel by Portuguese author Luís Miguel Rocha. It builds on the death of Pope John Paul I and the rumored secrets of Vatican City.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- How Australian Father Stabbed 11-Year-Old Son Dead, More Details Emerge
- ISIS Crucifies Teenage Boy For Filming Syrian Base; Image Of Baby Girl Being Beheaded Found [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage