Gold Drops Nearly 1% to Lowest in Seven Months
February 21, 2013 4:34 PM EST
Gold futures in India, the world's biggest consumer of the metal, fell 0.9 percent on Thursday morning to their lowest level in seven months, mirroring a similar trend overseas, though a weak rupee limited the downside.
At 10:08 a.m., the most active gold contract for April delivery on the Multi Commodity Exchange was 0.92 percent lower at 29,307 rupees per 10 grams, after falling to 29,305 rupees earlier, the lowest level since July 23, 2012.
In the overseas market, gold dropped to a seven-month low on Thursday, its third straight session of weakness, as signs that some Federal Reserve officials were reconsidering the scale and duration of the U.S. monetary stimulus programme spooked investors.
The rupee, which plays an important role in determining the landed cost of the dollar-quoted yellow metal, fell on Thursday.
Alarmed by the mounting current account deficit that hit a record 5.4 percent of gross domestic product in July-September, the government moved to rein in its gold imports -- second only to oil in value -- by raising the import duty on the precious metal to 6 percent from 4 percent on January 21.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia