Gold Drops Nearly 1% to Lowest in Seven Months
February 21, 2013 4:34 PM EST
Gold futures in India, the world's biggest consumer of the metal, fell 0.9 percent on Thursday morning to their lowest level in seven months, mirroring a similar trend overseas, though a weak rupee limited the downside.
At 10:08 a.m., the most active gold contract for April delivery on the Multi Commodity Exchange was 0.92 percent lower at 29,307 rupees per 10 grams, after falling to 29,305 rupees earlier, the lowest level since July 23, 2012.
In the overseas market, gold dropped to a seven-month low on Thursday, its third straight session of weakness, as signs that some Federal Reserve officials were reconsidering the scale and duration of the U.S. monetary stimulus programme spooked investors.
The rupee, which plays an important role in determining the landed cost of the dollar-quoted yellow metal, fell on Thursday.
Alarmed by the mounting current account deficit that hit a record 5.4 percent of gross domestic product in July-September, the government moved to rein in its gold imports -- second only to oil in value -- by raising the import duty on the precious metal to 6 percent from 4 percent on January 21.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year