Libor Fixing Scandal: FSA Denies Delay in Probe
By Jerin Mathew | February 21, 2013 4:25 PM EST
The Financial Services Authority hit back at MPs' criticism that the regulator had been slow to act on investigating and stopping the manipulation of some of the world's most important interbank lending rates.
In a statement on the Treasury Select Committee website, the regulator revealed it will publish the internal review conducted by its audit division into when it first came to know about the Libor rigging by Britain's top banks.
In a response to an earlier-published preliminary report by the Treasury Select Committee on the scandal, the FSA denied criticisms by the parliamentary body that the watch dog was two years behind the US authorities to begin the formal investigation.
The FSA responded that it had been working in close collaboration with the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) since 2008. The regulator launched its own investigation into the scandal in 2010, two years after its US counterparts.
"We were aware of and engaged with the enquiries made by the US regulatory authorities during 2008 and 2009 and provided assistance to the CFTC from the outset of its investigation, by obtaining documents and information from Barclays," says the FSA.
In addition, the report said that the FSA was not serious on the market rumours related to the manipulation of the interbank rate, and blamed the regulator of taking a narrow view of its power to initiate criminal proceedings for fraudulent conduct.
FSA denied all the criticisms, but added that "there may be merit in considering further the scope of the Financial Conduct Authority's (FCA) powers in the future".
On April 1, the UK's new 'dual' regulatory regime will see the FSA split into the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the FCA.The FCA will have responsibility for consumer issues and conduct of business regulation, and will supervise all financial services institutions meaning that some firms will be dual regulated.
In June last year, Barclays became the first bank to be fined £290m ($441m, €333m) by US and UK authorities for manipulating Libor and Euribor. Following that, Swiss bank UBS and Royal Bank of Scotland were fined £940m and £390m respectively, in connection with the same scandal.
"It is only right that the FSA has had to shoulder its share of the blame for this scandal," the chairman of the Treasury Committee Andrew Tyrie said commenting on the response.
"The Treasury Committee will consider the FSA's review into its own awareness of inappropriate Libor submissions when it is finalised. Some of the evidence we heard suggests early warning signs may have gone unheeded."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports