Google Glass Now Up for Grabs
By Gilda Galang | February 21, 2013 3:23 PM EST
After news about Google co-founder Sergey Brin being spotted with the Google Glass on the subway, the device seemed to quiet down to let other launching handsets and consoles take center stage.
Now it appears that the Google Glass is ramping out for a big word-of-mouth-driven campaign that also hinges on the creativity and, potentially urgent need, of individuals who want to be the first to get their hands on a Google Glass pair, and this chance expires by February 27.
8,000 Google Glass up for grabs for creative individuals
Aside from the unique device, US News reports that Google has announced a unique way of launching the product. Instead of the usual long lines to be one of the first to get your hands on the Google Glass, creative individuals are invited to write, in 50 words or less, along with a video or photos, what their plans are for the Google Glass.
Chosen explorers, to be announced in March, will then get their glass pair at an event to be held in San Francisco, Los Angeles, or New York.
Early speculation on specs and function
To further showcase just what the Google Glass can do, the company has launched a series of videos where you see how it feels and looks through the Glass.
According to ABC News, Google Glass contains a processor and a battery on one side, while on the other side, you will find a small camera and a glass looking box for the screen display. There is also a camera button, a power button, and a touchpad.
"OK Glass" command
What is most appealing is the voice command, wherein users will only have to say "Ok, Glass" before their actual command.
BBC reports that the commands can range from a variety of tasks, from taking pictures to sharing data through social networks. In fact, you can even enjoy video chat conversations as well as navigate direction at a mere mention.
These are fully enjoyed using the small screen display over the right eye of the user. It's almost reminiscent to the scene in Iron Man, and now Google Glass users can have their own Jarvis at their command.
According to Daily Mail, the Google Glass is slated to come out in five colors, black, red, blue, white, and gray.
However, official release dates for the Google Glass in stores have not yet been announced. US News reports that it's more likely for the glass pairs to hit the market in early 2014.
"We'd love to make everyone an Explorer, but we're starting off a bit smaller, the company said to US News. "While we can't promise everything will be perfect, we can promise it will be exciting."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Sims 4' First Expansion Pack To Roll Out Tomorrow With Halloween Theme Via Teaser Images
- Get Invite Codes to Ello the Social Networking Site That Is Viral On the Internet
- The Pirate Bay Contains Malicious Advertisements: Using TPB Can Infect Your Computer With Malware
- Windows Insider Program: How to Get Windows 10 the Next Generation Operating System
- Xbox One Sales Gear Up in China And UK As October System Update Improves Hardware
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks