Google Glass Now Up for Grabs
By Gilda Galang | February 21, 2013 3:23 PM EST
After news about Google co-founder Sergey Brin being spotted with the Google Glass on the subway, the device seemed to quiet down to let other launching handsets and consoles take center stage.
Now it appears that the Google Glass is ramping out for a big word-of-mouth-driven campaign that also hinges on the creativity and, potentially urgent need, of individuals who want to be the first to get their hands on a Google Glass pair, and this chance expires by February 27.
8,000 Google Glass up for grabs for creative individuals
Aside from the unique device, US News reports that Google has announced a unique way of launching the product. Instead of the usual long lines to be one of the first to get your hands on the Google Glass, creative individuals are invited to write, in 50 words or less, along with a video or photos, what their plans are for the Google Glass.
Chosen explorers, to be announced in March, will then get their glass pair at an event to be held in San Francisco, Los Angeles, or New York.
Early speculation on specs and function
To further showcase just what the Google Glass can do, the company has launched a series of videos where you see how it feels and looks through the Glass.
According to ABC News, Google Glass contains a processor and a battery on one side, while on the other side, you will find a small camera and a glass looking box for the screen display. There is also a camera button, a power button, and a touchpad.
"OK Glass" command
What is most appealing is the voice command, wherein users will only have to say "Ok, Glass" before their actual command.
BBC reports that the commands can range from a variety of tasks, from taking pictures to sharing data through social networks. In fact, you can even enjoy video chat conversations as well as navigate direction at a mere mention.
These are fully enjoyed using the small screen display over the right eye of the user. It's almost reminiscent to the scene in Iron Man, and now Google Glass users can have their own Jarvis at their command.
According to Daily Mail, the Google Glass is slated to come out in five colors, black, red, blue, white, and gray.
However, official release dates for the Google Glass in stores have not yet been announced. US News reports that it's more likely for the glass pairs to hit the market in early 2014.
"We'd love to make everyone an Explorer, but we're starting off a bit smaller, the company said to US News. "While we can't promise everything will be perfect, we can promise it will be exciting."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Nokia Lumia 630 vs. Sony Xperia M Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- HTC One Mini 2 vs. LG G2 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date