Google Glass Now Up for Grabs
By Gilda Galang | February 21, 2013 3:23 PM EST
After news about Google co-founder Sergey Brin being spotted with the Google Glass on the subway, the device seemed to quiet down to let other launching handsets and consoles take center stage.
Now it appears that the Google Glass is ramping out for a big word-of-mouth-driven campaign that also hinges on the creativity and, potentially urgent need, of individuals who want to be the first to get their hands on a Google Glass pair, and this chance expires by February 27.
8,000 Google Glass up for grabs for creative individuals
Aside from the unique device, US News reports that Google has announced a unique way of launching the product. Instead of the usual long lines to be one of the first to get your hands on the Google Glass, creative individuals are invited to write, in 50 words or less, along with a video or photos, what their plans are for the Google Glass.
Chosen explorers, to be announced in March, will then get their glass pair at an event to be held in San Francisco, Los Angeles, or New York.
Early speculation on specs and function
To further showcase just what the Google Glass can do, the company has launched a series of videos where you see how it feels and looks through the Glass.
According to ABC News, Google Glass contains a processor and a battery on one side, while on the other side, you will find a small camera and a glass looking box for the screen display. There is also a camera button, a power button, and a touchpad.
"OK Glass" command
What is most appealing is the voice command, wherein users will only have to say "Ok, Glass" before their actual command.
BBC reports that the commands can range from a variety of tasks, from taking pictures to sharing data through social networks. In fact, you can even enjoy video chat conversations as well as navigate direction at a mere mention.
These are fully enjoyed using the small screen display over the right eye of the user. It's almost reminiscent to the scene in Iron Man, and now Google Glass users can have their own Jarvis at their command.
According to Daily Mail, the Google Glass is slated to come out in five colors, black, red, blue, white, and gray.
However, official release dates for the Google Glass in stores have not yet been announced. US News reports that it's more likely for the glass pairs to hit the market in early 2014.
"We'd love to make everyone an Explorer, but we're starting off a bit smaller, the company said to US News. "While we can't promise everything will be perfect, we can promise it will be exciting."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Update Version 1.1, Eon Ticket And Delta Episode Info Appear
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft