Shia LaBeouf Quits Broadway Production Of 'Orphans'
By Eric Brown | February 21, 2013 3:16 PM EST
It looks like Shia LaBeouf will not be making his Broadway debut anytime soon. The “Transformers” star announced on Wednesday that he was quitting an upcoming Broadway production of “Orphans,” directed by Daniel Sullivan and also starring Alec Baldwin. LaBeouf is reportedly quitting over “creative differences.”
The Hollywood Reporter notes that “Orphans” was set to start previews on March 19, with a full opening following on April 7. The 26-year-old LaBeouf was set to star as “Treat,” the older brother of a character played by Tom Sturridge. No replacement has yet been announced.
"Due to creative differences, the producers of 'Orphans' and Shia LaBeouf will be parting ways, and he will not be continuing with the production. An announcement on the replacement for the role of 'Treat' will be made shortly," read a press release to the Hollywood Reporter.
Considering the actor’s recent attempts to transform himself into an artsy, independent film type, the “creative differences” that caused LeBeouf to quit “Orphans” could be nearly anything, though the New York Times states that director Sullivan had issues with LaBeouf’s “performance choices.”
Last year, the “Transformers” and “Indiana Jones” star, who got his start on a Disney TV comedy, told the Hollywood Reporter that he would focus only on independent features and artistic pieces from now on.
"I'm done," he told The Hollywood Reporter. "There's no room for being a visionary in the studio system. It literally cannot exist. You give Terrence Malick a movie like 'Transformers,' and he's f---ed. There's no way for him to exist in that world."
Still, no legitimate explanation for LaBeouf’s disappearance can ever be as entertaining as the AV Club’s idea that perhaps “Alec Baldwin showed up to rehearsal in an Optimus Prime mask and Shia LaBeouf flipped out,” so let’s just all pretend that’s what really happened.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video of Kids Reaction to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Goes Viral [Watch YouTube Clip]
- PM Tony Abbott’s Adviser Advocates Return of Using Cane to Discipline Students
- Survey Says 37% of Investors Consider Books, Magazines & Online Media as Best Sources of ‘Education’
- Fourth of July Guide On Do's and Don'ts On Firework Sounds For Your Dogs
- Students in Australia to Pay Higher University Fees Unless Tax is Increased
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal