Fox Co-Host Bob Beckel Apologizes For Rape Comments On 'The Five'
By Maria Vultaggio | February 21, 2013 2:37 PM EST
Beckel, a former Democratic political operative, implied that rape just doesn’t happen on college campuses.
He said: “When was the last time you heard about a rape on campus?”
That’s when his Fox co-hosts, Eric Bolling and Dana Perino, jumped in, trying to correct Beckel’s statement. Both Bolling and Perino agreed that rape, especially date rape, unfortunately occurs on college campuses throughout the nation all the time.
Beckel seemed to dig himself in deeper when he responded: “Well, date rape’s one thing, but what are you going to do, take out your gun and shoot your date?”
It seemed he was making it seem like date rape didn’t pose a risk of death, trying to make a distinction between rape and date rape since, you know, “date rape’s one thing.”
Twitchy provided a roundup of some of the Twitter outrage that was sparked by the co-anchor’s comment.
But Beckel issued a quasi-apology for his rape comments on Wednesday’s show:
“Yesterday, a number of people responded to what I said about date rape as if I didn't think it was a serious issue. Of course I think it's a serious issue. It's a horrible, horrendous issue.
“And it's simply put, this, rape is rape. Whether it's date rape or it's somebody coming in off the campus trying to rape somebody else. I very strongly feel that way. And so, I just want to straighten the record out on that. I simply was trying to make -- there was not a distinction to make here. It simply was that date rape is rape. And that is, by any other definition, rape is rape.”
Check out the footage of Beckel’s comment below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James