EU to Place Retroactive Duties on Dumped Made-in-China Solar Panels
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 21, 2013 1:39 PM EST
Member-states also approved on Wednesday the European Commission plan to require the registration by owners of all solar panels exported from China in a bid by the bloc to have more oversight over the $27-billion import market.
Because of the size of the market, politicians warned that it could escalate tensions between the EU and China which is the bloc's second-largest trade partner, and possibly lead to a trade war.
The EU probe is the result of a complaint by European solar panel manufacturing companies that they are suffering financial losses because of the dumping of cheap PVs made in China. In 2011, about 21 billion euro worth of solar panels and components were exported to Europe.
However, solar installers in the bloc warned that up to 242,000 jobs are at risk over three years if the EU would imposed a 60 per cent duty on Chinese PVs. Germany-based Prognos, an economic research organisation, estimated that 115,000 jobs on the first year of implementation would be lost if the duties would be 20 per cent but it could rise to 193,700 jobs if the duty would be at 60 per cent.
Prices of the PVs made in China are up to 45 per cent lower compared to those made by European companies
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected