Sony Announces PlayStation 4; New Console And Games Revealed In New York
By Charles Poladian | February 21, 2013 12:07 PM EST
Sony’s big announcement has lived up to its billing. On Wednesday evening in New York, Sony unveiled the PlayStation 4, the successor to the PlayStation 3. The new videogame system will feature social integration, a new controller and plenty of interesting technology.
At the event, Sony showed off the PlayStation 4's capabilities as well as the new controller. The devices' emphasis is on streaming games and sharing the experience with friends. Sony’s lead PS4 architect, Mark Cerny, said, “Our long-term vision is to reduce download times of digital titles to zero,” reports The Associated Press.
The PS4 controller long had been the topic of speculation, and some prototype photos had been released before Wednesday. The controller as revealed looked pretty similar to them. The PS4 controller will feature a touchscreen in the center, a ‘Share’ button, motion control and a LED light bar, which will make it easy for the PlayStation Eye to track during gameplay. The presenters said the PS4 was designed with plenty of input from game creators and its technology was created with developers in mind, meaning the PS4 could be the ideal system for videogame developers.
Also impressive is the amount of RAM that will help power the PS4. According to Gizmodo, the PS4 will have 8 gigabytes. Compare that number to the PS3 and the Xbox 360, each with just 512 MB of RAM, and it’s clear that the PS4 is not just a small upgrade in the technology department. Other PS4 technical specs revealed in New York include an x86 processor as well as a local HDD for storage.
Tech demos revealed some of the power of the PS4, including an impressive display of an old man’s face with almost lifelike skin. All the videos and demonstrations were pre-rendered but were still impressive and helped showcase what developers could do with the PS4. The PlayStation Cloud was also announced, which will allow streaming PlayStation 3 games to a PS4.
The PS4 promises better download times thanks to a separate processor that will downloading games as the user plays other games, notes Gizmodo. Sony is also promising games that will boot “instantly” from sleep mode and another video-processing chip that will unlock plenty of social features.
This dedicated video-processing chip will let friends view your gameplay from their home and users can stream or upload that footage to YouTube seamlessly without having to interrupt gameplay. Social networks will be important to the PS4 and, in addition to social sharing, Sony is incorporating its handheld device, the Vita, to act as a second console. Users can stream PS4 games onto the Vita and continue their gaming experience.
Some videogames also were shown off at the PS4 announcement including “Knack,” “Killzone: Shadow Fall,” “Driveclub,” “The Witness,” “Infamous: Second Son” and “Down Deep.” Sony said the developers currently working on games for the PS4 include Activision, Capcom, SquareEnix, Konami, Electronic Arts, Sega, Rockstar Games, Lucasarts and Bethesda, reports Kotaku.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- 'GTA V' For PC, PS4, Xbox One: More DLC Updates And Release Confirmed This Fall
- Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire May Not Be The Only Pokemon Game With This ‘Shocking’ Project
- 'Minecraft' 1.8 Update Gets 'Minecraft' 14w34b Snapshot, 'Minecraft PS Vita' Trailer And A Possible Oculus Rift Port
- PS4 News: An Update On Project Morpheus And 2 More Games Coming To It
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. Asus Zenfone 4 Price And Specifications Comparison [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features