Wong Jack Man, Bruce Lee’s Last Opponent; Movie Based On Historic Fight Announced
By Charles Poladian | February 21, 2013 10:29 AM EST
Bruce Lee was a martial arts legend as well as a movie star, and it all started with a fight with Wong Jack Man in a California gym. This historic fight, as well as Lee’s beginning in film, will be documented in the new movie “Birth of the Dragon.”
Wong Jack Man is an accomplished martial artist in his own right and taught classes for decades. His name is linked to Lee's thanks to a fight that occurred in Lee’s Oakland gym in 1964. Few details about the fight between Wong and Lee are known, but their feud began because Wong was upset with Lee teaching martial artists to everyone, including non-Asians. This led to a challenge by Wong. There were only a handful of witnesses to the fight, including Lee’s wife, Linda Lee Caldwell, James Lee and William Chen. It has become the stuff of legend and a perfect story for a movie.
“Birth of the Dragon” will be produced by QED International and Groundswell Productions, reports Deadline. The movie will center on the 1964 fight and will be written by Christopher Wilkinson and Stephen Rivele, who wrote the screenplays for “Ali” and “Nixon.” The new movie will focus on the Wong-Lee fight but will also look at the seedier side of 1960s San Francisco, including criminal activity in Chinatown and the Chinese Triad gangs. Lee’s fight with Wong was his last before his career as a movie star and public figure expounding on martial arts and philosophy.
Bill Block, QED International’s CEO, told Deadline, “We’re excited to retell the fantastic origin story of the world’s most famous martial arts icon, which in the hands of Christopher and Stephen, lends itself to an action thriller we’re sure will enthrall movie fans around the world.”
“Birth of the Dragon” will not be another Lee biopic, like “Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story,” but will instead tell the story of Wong and their pivotal fight from multiple viewpoints. Speaking to Yahoo! Sports, Groundswell Productions CEO Michael London said, “I think that's a natural impression people might get. The idea, actually, is to take that battle, which has been so mysterious and so powerful and so interesting to so many, and tell the lead-up to that story, which is Wong Jack Man's arrival in San Francisco.”
London also hopes Wong and the Lee family will provide insight on the story. According to Shannon Lee, Lee’s daughter, the fight with Wong led to her father to rethink his training and paved the way for the creation of Jeet Kune Do and Lee’s martial arts philosophy. London is hopeful that filming could begin in 2014, notes Yahoo! Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories