Gold and Silver Plunge as Fed Keeps Printing $85 Billion Per Month
By Eric McWhinnie | February 21, 2013 8:36 AM EST
On Wednesday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for April delivery, the most active contract, fell $26.20 to settle at $1,578 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March plunged 80 cents to close at $28.62. The price of gold has now declined for five consecutive trading sessions to post its lowest close since July.
Both precious metals witnessed heavy-selling pressure, as the U.S. dollar climbed higher. Although the Federal Reserve decided to keep its current $85 billion/per month quantitative easing programs in place, it is injecting fear on how long they will continue.
According to the new Federal Open Market Committee minutes, several members want the central bank to prepare for a day when it does not have to keep the economy afloat with the current QE programs.
The statement explains, “Several participants emphasized that the Committee should be prepared to vary the pace of asset purchases, either in response to changes in the economic outlook or as its evaluation of the efficacy and costs of such purchases evolved. For example, one participant argued that purchases should vary incrementally from meeting to meeting in response to incoming information about the economy. A number of participants stated that an ongoing evaluation of the efficacy, costs, and risks of asset purchases might well lead the Committee to taper or end its purchases before it judged that a substantial improvement in the outlook for the labor market had occurred.”
By the end of the day, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) fell 2.5 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) plunged 3 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) both fell about 4 percent. Silver names such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) both crashed more than 7 percent.
Don’t Miss: How Strong is Gold Demand?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone