Gold and Silver Plunge as Fed Keeps Printing $85 Billion Per Month
By Eric McWhinnie | February 21, 2013 8:36 AM EST
On Wednesday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for April delivery, the most active contract, fell $26.20 to settle at $1,578 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March plunged 80 cents to close at $28.62. The price of gold has now declined for five consecutive trading sessions to post its lowest close since July.
Both precious metals witnessed heavy-selling pressure, as the U.S. dollar climbed higher. Although the Federal Reserve decided to keep its current $85 billion/per month quantitative easing programs in place, it is injecting fear on how long they will continue.
According to the new Federal Open Market Committee minutes, several members want the central bank to prepare for a day when it does not have to keep the economy afloat with the current QE programs.
The statement explains, “Several participants emphasized that the Committee should be prepared to vary the pace of asset purchases, either in response to changes in the economic outlook or as its evaluation of the efficacy and costs of such purchases evolved. For example, one participant argued that purchases should vary incrementally from meeting to meeting in response to incoming information about the economy. A number of participants stated that an ongoing evaluation of the efficacy, costs, and risks of asset purchases might well lead the Committee to taper or end its purchases before it judged that a substantial improvement in the outlook for the labor market had occurred.”
By the end of the day, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) fell 2.5 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) plunged 3 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) both fell about 4 percent. Silver names such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) both crashed more than 7 percent.
Don’t Miss: How Strong is Gold Demand?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time