Gold and Silver Plunge as Fed Keeps Printing $85 Billion Per Month
By Eric McWhinnie | February 21, 2013 8:36 AM EST
On Wednesday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for April delivery, the most active contract, fell $26.20 to settle at $1,578 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March plunged 80 cents to close at $28.62. The price of gold has now declined for five consecutive trading sessions to post its lowest close since July.
Both precious metals witnessed heavy-selling pressure, as the U.S. dollar climbed higher. Although the Federal Reserve decided to keep its current $85 billion/per month quantitative easing programs in place, it is injecting fear on how long they will continue.
According to the new Federal Open Market Committee minutes, several members want the central bank to prepare for a day when it does not have to keep the economy afloat with the current QE programs.
The statement explains, “Several participants emphasized that the Committee should be prepared to vary the pace of asset purchases, either in response to changes in the economic outlook or as its evaluation of the efficacy and costs of such purchases evolved. For example, one participant argued that purchases should vary incrementally from meeting to meeting in response to incoming information about the economy. A number of participants stated that an ongoing evaluation of the efficacy, costs, and risks of asset purchases might well lead the Committee to taper or end its purchases before it judged that a substantial improvement in the outlook for the labor market had occurred.”
By the end of the day, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) fell 2.5 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) plunged 3 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) both fell about 4 percent. Silver names such as Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) both crashed more than 7 percent.
Don’t Miss: How Strong is Gold Demand?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues