Trade Union Strike: Violence Mars Bharat Bandh on Day One
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 21, 2013 8:28 AM EST
The two-day trade union strike, which started on Wednesday, was marred by violence on day one, including burning of office goers' cars and other vehicles, and the death of a protestor.
Several trade organizations including the Bhartiya Majdoor Sangh (BMS), All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC), Hind Mazdoor Sabha (HMS), Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC), Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU), and All India United Trade Union Centre (AIUTUC) have called for a two-day Bharat Bandh to protest against price rise, and anti-people and anti-workers policies of the government.
Day one of the Bharat Bandh took an ugly turn after 55-year-old Narendra Singh, treasurer of AIUTUC, died in Ambala, Haryana after being knocked down by a bus while trying to stop it from plying. Section 144 was imposed in the district after protestors turned violent and pelted stones at the police besides damaging vehicles.
Bharat Bandh supporters turned violent in Noida Phase 2, setting ablaze several vehicles and damaging property. Police said that the protestors damaged several vehicles including a fire engine. 14 protestors were arrested in connection with the incident.
The nation-wide bandh called by the Central Trade Unions received mixed response but affected banking, insurance companies, transport, telecom and oil industries badly. Air and train services were not affected but public transport was affected in most states, as buses and taxis kept off the roads.
Some of the worst hit states are Tripura, Jharkhand, Bihar and Kerala. The streets wore a deserted look and most business establishments were shut down in these states. Protestors even disrupted train schedules in Bihar.
However, there was only partial response in states like Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra and West Bengal. Public transport was normal in most of these states though educational institutions and business establishments were shut down in most places.
The strike was called by as many as 11 trade unions in the country after talks with the government failed to produce anything positive.
Trade unions have raised a charter of demands that includes - to contain price rise, to ensure employment generation, strict enforcement of labour laws, universal social security for unorganized and organized workers, stoppage of disinvestment in Central and State Public Sector Undertakings, abolition of contract labour, removal of all ceilings on payment and eligibility of bonus, provident fund and assured pension for all.
The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry (ASSOCHAM) has said the estimated loss of the trade unions' two-day strike (Wednesday and Thursday), which is set to cripple banking, insurance, transport and several other sectors, is ₹15,000 to ₹20,000 crore.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen