Berlin 2013: ‘Closed Curtain’ Best Script Award Protested By Iranian Authorities
February 21, 2013 7:45 AM EST
“Closed Curtain,” the Iranian film that made its debut at the Berlin Film Festival, is stirring up controversy.
Directed by Iranian dissidents Jafar Panahi -- who is two years into a 20 year ban on filmmaking in Iran -- and Kamboziya Partovi, “Closed Curtain” is a narrative feature that centers on people on the run from authorities who hide out in a villa.
The Guardian reports that Iranian authorizes are protesting the festival’s decision to honor the film with the Silver Bear for Best Script.
In a statement, Javad Shamaqdari, Iran’s deputy culture minister and cinema chief, spoke out against the award.
“We believe that the Berlin fest organizers should correct their behavior,” said Shamaqdari. “Making these films is illegal, but so far the Islamic Republic has shown patience towards such illegal acts,” he continued.
Panahi was imprisoned and subsequently put under house arrest due to his support of the opposition party during Iran’s 2009 presidential election. In addition to the filmmaking ban, Panahi is barred from giving interviews to foreign members of the press.
In 2011, Panahi released “This is Not a Film,” which was shot using an iPhone and a low-cost DV camera. The documentary chronicles his daily life as he waits to see whether or not his appeal has been approved.
A USB device that held the film was cleverly hidden inside of a cake and submitted to the Cannes Film Festival.
The film brought widespread attention to Panahi’s case and celebrities such as Robert De Niro and Ang Lee publically expressed their support for the director. Other high profile figures like Harvey Weinstein and Martin Scorsese signed an Amnesty International Petition that called for his release.
Despite the German government’s efforts to persuade the Iranian government to allow Panahi to attend the film’s Berlin premiere, the filmmaker was not given permission to exit the country.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Partovi was present to accept the award on Saturday night.
“It is impossible to stop a thinker and a poet. Their thoughts bear fruit everywhere,” he said in his acceptance speech.
In a printed statement Panahi said that the film “uses shifting genres and stories within stories to highlight why filmmaking is a necessity in a filmmaker’s life: it is the imperative need to show the reality of the world we live in.”
During the festival, Panai said he isn’t sure if or how those involved with the film will be reprimanded.
“We don’t know what this will lead to,” he said. “We are very glad that Jafar had the opportunity to come through with this project… Nothing has happened up to now, but we don’t know what the future holds in store for us.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date