Heinz deal a "call to action" for Campbell Soup
By Martinne Geller | February 21, 2013 7:28 AM EST
The planned $23 billion acquisition of H.J. Heinz Co
3G is run by investors who bought Burger King Worldwide Inc
"For me, it's a heightened signal that I've got to be even more aggressive about costs," Morrison said in an interview on the sidelines of the Consumer Analyst Group of New York conference in Boca Raton, Florida. "Campbell is always looking for ways to create better productivity and I think this is a good call to action."
Campbell Soup's stock rose last Thursday, the day the Heinz deal was announced. The maker of Prego pasta sauces, V8 juices and Pepperidge Farm cookies has often been considered by Wall Street as a good tie-up for Heinz, given its product categories.
"Campbell is a great company," Heinz Chief Executive William Johnson said in August 2008 at the company's annual meeting when a shareholder asked about making an offer for the world's largest soup maker. "Campbell would represent a nice fit with the company. We are always looking for opportunities to expand and grow."
Nonetheless, roughly half of Campbell's stock is owned by heirs of John Dorrance, who invented condensed soup. That would likely make any acquisition difficult.
When asked whether the Heinz takeover could signal more deals ahead, Morrison said the food industry is always in motion.
"We're a business that rearranges the furniture a lot," she said. Campbell itself bought Bolthouse Farms last August for $1.55 billion, its largest purchase ever. The move expanded its reach into baby carrots and refrigerated juices and salad dressings.
Morrison said Campbell could do more deals, large or small.
"If it's a way to create value, then it's part of the strategy," she said, citing also the possibility of more partnerships like the one Campbell has in Mexico with Grupo Jumex and Conservas La Costena.
(Additional reporting by Brad Dorfman in Chicago; Editing by Matthew Lewis)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports