Heinz deal a "call to action" for Campbell Soup
By Martinne Geller | February 21, 2013 7:28 AM EST
The planned $23 billion acquisition of H.J. Heinz Co
3G is run by investors who bought Burger King Worldwide Inc
"For me, it's a heightened signal that I've got to be even more aggressive about costs," Morrison said in an interview on the sidelines of the Consumer Analyst Group of New York conference in Boca Raton, Florida. "Campbell is always looking for ways to create better productivity and I think this is a good call to action."
Campbell Soup's stock rose last Thursday, the day the Heinz deal was announced. The maker of Prego pasta sauces, V8 juices and Pepperidge Farm cookies has often been considered by Wall Street as a good tie-up for Heinz, given its product categories.
"Campbell is a great company," Heinz Chief Executive William Johnson said in August 2008 at the company's annual meeting when a shareholder asked about making an offer for the world's largest soup maker. "Campbell would represent a nice fit with the company. We are always looking for opportunities to expand and grow."
Nonetheless, roughly half of Campbell's stock is owned by heirs of John Dorrance, who invented condensed soup. That would likely make any acquisition difficult.
When asked whether the Heinz takeover could signal more deals ahead, Morrison said the food industry is always in motion.
"We're a business that rearranges the furniture a lot," she said. Campbell itself bought Bolthouse Farms last August for $1.55 billion, its largest purchase ever. The move expanded its reach into baby carrots and refrigerated juices and salad dressings.
Morrison said Campbell could do more deals, large or small.
"If it's a way to create value, then it's part of the strategy," she said, citing also the possibility of more partnerships like the one Campbell has in Mexico with Grupo Jumex and Conservas La Costena.
(Additional reporting by Brad Dorfman in Chicago; Editing by Matthew Lewis)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown