Heinz deal a "call to action" for Campbell Soup
By Martinne Geller | February 21, 2013 7:28 AM EST
The planned $23 billion acquisition of H.J. Heinz Co
3G is run by investors who bought Burger King Worldwide Inc
"For me, it's a heightened signal that I've got to be even more aggressive about costs," Morrison said in an interview on the sidelines of the Consumer Analyst Group of New York conference in Boca Raton, Florida. "Campbell is always looking for ways to create better productivity and I think this is a good call to action."
Campbell Soup's stock rose last Thursday, the day the Heinz deal was announced. The maker of Prego pasta sauces, V8 juices and Pepperidge Farm cookies has often been considered by Wall Street as a good tie-up for Heinz, given its product categories.
"Campbell is a great company," Heinz Chief Executive William Johnson said in August 2008 at the company's annual meeting when a shareholder asked about making an offer for the world's largest soup maker. "Campbell would represent a nice fit with the company. We are always looking for opportunities to expand and grow."
Nonetheless, roughly half of Campbell's stock is owned by heirs of John Dorrance, who invented condensed soup. That would likely make any acquisition difficult.
When asked whether the Heinz takeover could signal more deals ahead, Morrison said the food industry is always in motion.
"We're a business that rearranges the furniture a lot," she said. Campbell itself bought Bolthouse Farms last August for $1.55 billion, its largest purchase ever. The move expanded its reach into baby carrots and refrigerated juices and salad dressings.
Morrison said Campbell could do more deals, large or small.
"If it's a way to create value, then it's part of the strategy," she said, citing also the possibility of more partnerships like the one Campbell has in Mexico with Grupo Jumex and Conservas La Costena.
(Additional reporting by Brad Dorfman in Chicago; Editing by Matthew Lewis)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How