Boris Johnson Slams 'Jelly' Nick Clegg on Eastleigh Visit
By Dominic Gover | February 21, 2013 5:48 AM EST
Boris Johnson gave David Cameron a coalition headache by delivering a verbal kicking to Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg.
Johnson came out strongly against the Conservatives' coalition partners by deriding deputy prime minister Clegg for his record in government with Cameron.
"His singlemost contribution to British politicis has been to make a U-turn on tuition fees, then to make a song about it," crowed Johnson.
The London mayor spoke out during a visit to Eastleigh, Hampshire, to help the Tory election campaign wrest the seat from the Lib Dems.
He said it was the Conservatives' "duty" to kick the party propping up Prime Minister David Cameron.
"There are lots of areas where the Lib Dems are pitifully weak," he said. "It's our constitutional duty to kick the Lib Dems in the ... Do they have any?"
Johnson's trip to aid candidate Maria Hutchings while Cameron was out of the country renewed speculation about his ambitions to become PM.
He denied hitting the campaign trail was a plot to upstage Cameron.
"This just happens to be the most convenient day in the half term to come to Eastleigh," Johnson said.
"David Cameron has a clear plan. This is about a very tight fight in Eastleigh, which the Lib Dems have held since 1994. If we can pull it out of the hat that would be fantastic, but clearly it will be a tough fight.
"I'm not in a coalition at City Hall," Johnson told the Evening Standard.
"I truckle to no man. I've no pact with these great big wobbling jellies. I'm free to say what I think. They're all over the place with their policies."
The by-election was called after Clegg lost one of his most senior colleagues with the shock resignation of former energy secretary Chris Huhne.
He quit in disgrace after admitting to perverting the course of justice by lying to police about a motoring offence. He now faces jail.
The trial of Huhne's former wife, Vicky Pryce, on the same charge collapsed when the jury was unable to reach a verdict and was dismissed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown