Boris Johnson Slams 'Jelly' Nick Clegg on Eastleigh Visit
By Dominic Gover | February 21, 2013 5:48 AM EST
Boris Johnson gave David Cameron a coalition headache by delivering a verbal kicking to Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg.
Johnson came out strongly against the Conservatives' coalition partners by deriding deputy prime minister Clegg for his record in government with Cameron.
"His singlemost contribution to British politicis has been to make a U-turn on tuition fees, then to make a song about it," crowed Johnson.
The London mayor spoke out during a visit to Eastleigh, Hampshire, to help the Tory election campaign wrest the seat from the Lib Dems.
He said it was the Conservatives' "duty" to kick the party propping up Prime Minister David Cameron.
"There are lots of areas where the Lib Dems are pitifully weak," he said. "It's our constitutional duty to kick the Lib Dems in the ... Do they have any?"
Johnson's trip to aid candidate Maria Hutchings while Cameron was out of the country renewed speculation about his ambitions to become PM.
He denied hitting the campaign trail was a plot to upstage Cameron.
"This just happens to be the most convenient day in the half term to come to Eastleigh," Johnson said.
"David Cameron has a clear plan. This is about a very tight fight in Eastleigh, which the Lib Dems have held since 1994. If we can pull it out of the hat that would be fantastic, but clearly it will be a tough fight.
"I'm not in a coalition at City Hall," Johnson told the Evening Standard.
"I truckle to no man. I've no pact with these great big wobbling jellies. I'm free to say what I think. They're all over the place with their policies."
The by-election was called after Clegg lost one of his most senior colleagues with the shock resignation of former energy secretary Chris Huhne.
He quit in disgrace after admitting to perverting the course of justice by lying to police about a motoring offence. He now faces jail.
The trial of Huhne's former wife, Vicky Pryce, on the same charge collapsed when the jury was unable to reach a verdict and was dismissed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop