Boris Johnson Slams 'Jelly' Nick Clegg on Eastleigh Visit
By Dominic Gover | February 21, 2013 5:48 AM EST
Boris Johnson gave David Cameron a coalition headache by delivering a verbal kicking to Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg.
Johnson came out strongly against the Conservatives' coalition partners by deriding deputy prime minister Clegg for his record in government with Cameron.
"His singlemost contribution to British politicis has been to make a U-turn on tuition fees, then to make a song about it," crowed Johnson.
The London mayor spoke out during a visit to Eastleigh, Hampshire, to help the Tory election campaign wrest the seat from the Lib Dems.
He said it was the Conservatives' "duty" to kick the party propping up Prime Minister David Cameron.
"There are lots of areas where the Lib Dems are pitifully weak," he said. "It's our constitutional duty to kick the Lib Dems in the ... Do they have any?"
Johnson's trip to aid candidate Maria Hutchings while Cameron was out of the country renewed speculation about his ambitions to become PM.
He denied hitting the campaign trail was a plot to upstage Cameron.
"This just happens to be the most convenient day in the half term to come to Eastleigh," Johnson said.
"David Cameron has a clear plan. This is about a very tight fight in Eastleigh, which the Lib Dems have held since 1994. If we can pull it out of the hat that would be fantastic, but clearly it will be a tough fight.
"I'm not in a coalition at City Hall," Johnson told the Evening Standard.
"I truckle to no man. I've no pact with these great big wobbling jellies. I'm free to say what I think. They're all over the place with their policies."
The by-election was called after Clegg lost one of his most senior colleagues with the shock resignation of former energy secretary Chris Huhne.
He quit in disgrace after admitting to perverting the course of justice by lying to police about a motoring offence. He now faces jail.
The trial of Huhne's former wife, Vicky Pryce, on the same charge collapsed when the jury was unable to reach a verdict and was dismissed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery