Red Hat Sets ‘Big Data’ Push By Making Linux Available For Open Cloud
By David Zielenziger | February 21, 2013 5:21 AM EST
Red Hat Inc. (NYSE:RHT), the biggest seller of open-source Linux software, said it plans to move most of its software and storage products to the open-source community to speed progress for cloud applications by global enterprises.
The company said that by later this year its products will be compatible with the Apache Hadoop development community to use for writing applications for “big data” worldwide. The idea is to make it easier for companies to manage structured data in traditional databases and unstructured data so that it can be used and analyzed.
“Our products are ripe for what open source software brings to the table,” said Ranga Rangachari, general manager of Red Hat’s storage business unit. The Raleigh, N.C.-based company plans to announce partnerships with major enterprises and systems integrators later this year.
Red Hat’s embrace of the Apache Hadoop open-source community poses a challenge to the largest database developers, Oracle Corp. (NASDAQ:ORCL) and Germany’s SAP (NYSE:SAP), which battle for contracts and market share and have also targeted the “big data” sector.
Analysts at market researcher IDC estimate "big data" applications will mushroom to $23.8 billion from only $6 billion in 2011.
Rangachari said Red Hat believes its principal customers in the financial, insurance, retail and entertainment sectors are most interested in “big data” and his company will design some cloud-based programs in the public cloud and then will bring them in-house for further development.
The company’s software, including JBoss Middleware, will allow customers to do just that, without having to rewrite applications and spend extra money, the executive said.
Often, an enterprise might offer a cloud-based service through Amazon.com (NASDAQ:AMZN)’s Amazon Web Services as a test before deciding to develop the service more internally, Rangachari said. Ease of use should speed development.
“‘Big data’ could be one of the killer apps of the open hybrid cloud,” Rangachari said.
In December, Red Hat acquired private ManageIQ Inc. for $104 million. The Mawhah, N.J.-based company is a cloud specialist that has designed software management systems that complement Red Hat’s CloudForms product. The software allows companies to manage and access data stored on worldwise server farms.
Shares of Red Hat rose 52 cents to $54.46 in Wednesday trading. Shares of Oracle fell 3 cents to $35.38.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 'The Bachelor' Update: Reasons Why Juan Pablo And Nikki Ferrell Are Not Splitting Up Anytime Soon; Couple To Launch Showbiz Career Together [Video]
- 7 New Video Games Set To Be Released On Sept. 2, 2014 Including ‘Warframe,’ 'Sims 4' And 'Dance Central Spotlight' [WATCH VIDEOS]
- A-List Celebrities, Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photo Leak: Similar Kind Of Privacy Breach Led To Prosecution Of Another Hacker In 2011
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. New Zealand Preview, Starting Lineups
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers