Jesse Jackson Jr. Pleads Guilty: 'For Years I Lived Off My Campaign'
By Ashley Portero | February 21, 2013 4:44 AM EST
Former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., D-Ill., pleaded guilty to misusing $750,000 worth of campaign funds for personal expenses, and will face prison time when he is sentenced this summer.
“Sir, for years I lived off my campaign,” Jackson told a federal judge in Washington, D.C. “I used money I shouldn’t have for personal purposes.”
As part of the plea deal, sentencing guidelines call for a prison sentence between 46 and 57 months, according to media reports. Jackson would not be eligible for probation.
Jackson was reportedly subdued during the court hearing, periodically dabbing his eyes with a tissue. The former congressman said he waived his right to trial because he had “no interest in wasting the taxpayers’ time or their money.”
Jackson resigned from office in November only 15 days after voters re-elected him for a 10th term. He had been noticeably absent from Capitol Hill for months before his departure while seeking treatment for bipolar disorder.
In his resignation letter Jackson cited ill health as his reason for leaving, but also acknowledged the existence of a federal criminal investigation into the possible misuse of campaign funds.
His wife, Sandi Jackson, is expected to plead guilty to filing false tax returns on Wednesday afternoon.
Jackson Jr. entered a negotiated plea of guilty on one felony count of conspiracy to commit false statements, wire fraud and mail fraud. Prosecutors also allege he spent campaign funds to purchase luxury items and memorabilia.
In particular, The Chicago Tribune reports he was accused of spending $43,350 on a Rolex watch, nearly $9,600 on children’s furniture and $5,150 on cashmere clothing.
The former congressman’s sentencing hearing is scheduled for June 28.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Julie Bishop: ISIS Is 'Australia's Responsibility'
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display