Jesse Jackson Jr. Pleads Guilty: 'For Years I Lived Off My Campaign'
By Ashley Portero | February 21, 2013 4:44 AM EST
Former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., D-Ill., pleaded guilty to misusing $750,000 worth of campaign funds for personal expenses, and will face prison time when he is sentenced this summer.
“Sir, for years I lived off my campaign,” Jackson told a federal judge in Washington, D.C. “I used money I shouldn’t have for personal purposes.”
As part of the plea deal, sentencing guidelines call for a prison sentence between 46 and 57 months, according to media reports. Jackson would not be eligible for probation.
Jackson was reportedly subdued during the court hearing, periodically dabbing his eyes with a tissue. The former congressman said he waived his right to trial because he had “no interest in wasting the taxpayers’ time or their money.”
Jackson resigned from office in November only 15 days after voters re-elected him for a 10th term. He had been noticeably absent from Capitol Hill for months before his departure while seeking treatment for bipolar disorder.
In his resignation letter Jackson cited ill health as his reason for leaving, but also acknowledged the existence of a federal criminal investigation into the possible misuse of campaign funds.
His wife, Sandi Jackson, is expected to plead guilty to filing false tax returns on Wednesday afternoon.
Jackson Jr. entered a negotiated plea of guilty on one felony count of conspiracy to commit false statements, wire fraud and mail fraud. Prosecutors also allege he spent campaign funds to purchase luxury items and memorabilia.
In particular, The Chicago Tribune reports he was accused of spending $43,350 on a Rolex watch, nearly $9,600 on children’s furniture and $5,150 on cashmere clothing.
The former congressman’s sentencing hearing is scheduled for June 28.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8