Vicky Pryce Trial Collapses on Admission Chris Huhne Made Her Lie
By Dominic Gover | February 21, 2013 2:14 AM EST
The trial of Vicky Pryce on charges of covering up a driving offence by her disgraced husband Chris Huhne has collapsed after she claimed he made her do it.
In dramatic scenes at Southwark Crown Court, the jury was discharged after failing to reach a verdict on whether economist Pryce, an economist, perverted the course of justice.
Pryce, 60, defended herself against the charge by claiming martial coercion - an obscure defence available only to women.
After four days of deliberation, the jury of eight women and four men was unable to reach a unamious verdict.
Pryce claimed that her ex-husband Huhne had piled pressure on her to tell police that she was driving his BMW when it was clocked speeding in 2003. As a result, he dodged getting three more points on his licence and avoided a driving ban.
Pryce appeared in the dock alone, after former Cabinet secretary Huhne admitted lying about the offence. He may face jail.
Huhne pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice and then resigned as MP of Eastleigh in Hampshire. He spent two years denying any wrongdoing, after details of the offence became public in 2011.
Huhne, who only narrowly lost to deputy prime minister Nick Clegg in the Lib Dem leadership race, maintained up until the last minute that the claims against him were wild allegations. He even quit as energy secretary in 2012 to fight the charge before his shock about-turn.
During the trial of Pryce, the jury was played a tape of her noisy arguments with Huhne. She collaborated with the Sunday Times' political editor to secretly record exchanges, during which she tried to draw a confession from him.
Pryce admitted on the tapes to wanting to "nail" Huhne for leaving her and the couple's children. He walked out for the marriage to pursue his relationship with PR adviser Carina Trimington.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales