Polish finance minister promoted to deputy PM
February 21, 2013 1:07 AM EST
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said on Wednesday he was promoting his finance minister, Jacek Rostowski, to the post of deputy prime minister.
He said Rostowski would keep his job as finance minister after the promotion.
"The finance minister should have a stronger position," Tusk told a news conference. "Poland's growth and public finances, our fiscal discipline, will be the government's priority."
Markets credit Rostowski with overseeing Poland's fiscal discipline and careful stewardship of the economy. Until a slowdown hit last year, those policies helped sustain growth in Poland even as its neighbours were in recession.
Rostowski has said he is determined to reduce the country's deficit, now expected to drop to about 3.4 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) in 2012. European Union rules set the deficit ceiling at 3 percent of GDP.
The finance minister, 61, was born in London into a family of Polish exiles. He spent part of his childhood in Africa where his father, who worked for the British diplomatic service, was posted. He was appointed finance minister in 2007.
Tusk also said on Wednesday there would be a bigger government reshuffle half way through this year.
(Reporting by Dagmara Leszkowicz; Writing by Karolina Slowikowska; Editing by Christian Lowe, Ron Askew)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'