Polish finance minister promoted to deputy PM
February 21, 2013 1:07 AM EST
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said on Wednesday he was promoting his finance minister, Jacek Rostowski, to the post of deputy prime minister.
He said Rostowski would keep his job as finance minister after the promotion.
"The finance minister should have a stronger position," Tusk told a news conference. "Poland's growth and public finances, our fiscal discipline, will be the government's priority."
Markets credit Rostowski with overseeing Poland's fiscal discipline and careful stewardship of the economy. Until a slowdown hit last year, those policies helped sustain growth in Poland even as its neighbours were in recession.
Rostowski has said he is determined to reduce the country's deficit, now expected to drop to about 3.4 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) in 2012. European Union rules set the deficit ceiling at 3 percent of GDP.
The finance minister, 61, was born in London into a family of Polish exiles. He spent part of his childhood in Africa where his father, who worked for the British diplomatic service, was posted. He was appointed finance minister in 2007.
Tusk also said on Wednesday there would be a bigger government reshuffle half way through this year.
(Reporting by Dagmara Leszkowicz; Writing by Karolina Slowikowska; Editing by Christian Lowe, Ron Askew)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones