Polish finance minister promoted to deputy PM
February 21, 2013 1:07 AM EST
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said on Wednesday he was promoting his finance minister, Jacek Rostowski, to the post of deputy prime minister.
He said Rostowski would keep his job as finance minister after the promotion.
"The finance minister should have a stronger position," Tusk told a news conference. "Poland's growth and public finances, our fiscal discipline, will be the government's priority."
Markets credit Rostowski with overseeing Poland's fiscal discipline and careful stewardship of the economy. Until a slowdown hit last year, those policies helped sustain growth in Poland even as its neighbours were in recession.
Rostowski has said he is determined to reduce the country's deficit, now expected to drop to about 3.4 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) in 2012. European Union rules set the deficit ceiling at 3 percent of GDP.
The finance minister, 61, was born in London into a family of Polish exiles. He spent part of his childhood in Africa where his father, who worked for the British diplomatic service, was posted. He was appointed finance minister in 2007.
Tusk also said on Wednesday there would be a bigger government reshuffle half way through this year.
(Reporting by Dagmara Leszkowicz; Writing by Karolina Slowikowska; Editing by Christian Lowe, Ron Askew)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop