Polish finance minister promoted to deputy PM
February 21, 2013 1:07 AM EST
Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said on Wednesday he was promoting his finance minister, Jacek Rostowski, to the post of deputy prime minister.
He said Rostowski would keep his job as finance minister after the promotion.
"The finance minister should have a stronger position," Tusk told a news conference. "Poland's growth and public finances, our fiscal discipline, will be the government's priority."
Markets credit Rostowski with overseeing Poland's fiscal discipline and careful stewardship of the economy. Until a slowdown hit last year, those policies helped sustain growth in Poland even as its neighbours were in recession.
Rostowski has said he is determined to reduce the country's deficit, now expected to drop to about 3.4 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) in 2012. European Union rules set the deficit ceiling at 3 percent of GDP.
The finance minister, 61, was born in London into a family of Polish exiles. He spent part of his childhood in Africa where his father, who worked for the British diplomatic service, was posted. He was appointed finance minister in 2007.
Tusk also said on Wednesday there would be a bigger government reshuffle half way through this year.
(Reporting by Dagmara Leszkowicz; Writing by Karolina Slowikowska; Editing by Christian Lowe, Ron Askew)
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build