Oscar Pistorius Trial: Witnesses Heard 'Non-stop Shouting' Before Reeva Steenkamp Shot Dead
By Hannah Osborne | February 20, 2013 8:45 PM EST
Reeva Steenkamp was "hiding" in the bathroom when Oscar Pistorius shot her dead and witnesses heard "non-stop shouting" from the athlete's home before she died, a court has heard.
During the second day of Pistorius's bail hearing, prosecuting lawyer Gerrie Nel has claimed he is in possession of a witness statement that says the couple were arguing before Steenkamp died.
He said a neighbour heard "non-stop shouting" between 2am and 3am in the early hours of the morning the model was shot.
He says Pistorius deliberately shot at Steenkamp and her injuries are consistent with this.
Judge Desmond Nair has also heard from Hiton Botha, the investigating officer who was first to arrive at the scene after the shooting.
Botha said he arrived at around 4.15am and found Steenkamp's dead body at the bottom of the staircase. She was wearing a black vest and white shorts and was covered in towels.
An examination showed Steenkamp had been shot three times; once on the right side of her head above her ear, once in her right arm and once through the hip. The bullets went through her clothes, showing she was dressed when she was shot.
Botha said he found one cartridge outside the bathroom and three inside. The gun was found on the mat.
He said the shots were fired diagonally around 1.5 metres from the door, and claimed that Steenkamp's injuries, on the right-hand side of her body, suggest she was not on the toilet but "hiding" on the right-hand side of the room.
Botha also said the shots were aimed at the toilet bowl: "If you fire straight at the door, you miss the toilet."
Botha recommended Pisotrius not be granted bail because he is a "flight risk". After the shooting, Pistorius' lawyer and brother came to the property looking for documents and a memory stick relating to details of an offshore account.
"We don't want another Dewani matter," Botha said, refereeing to the British man accused of killing his new bride in South Africa on their honeymoon. Authorities in South Africa want Shrien Dewani extradited so he can face the murder charges he is accused of.
The officer also said Pistorius will now also be charged with possession of unlicensed ammunition after .38 Special rounds were found in his bedroom safe. Pistorius only had a licence for a 9mm pistol.
After entering the property, police found an overnight bag and slippers in Pistorius' bedroom. The judge asked for a floor plan of the property to get a better picture of the athlete's movements between the bedroom and bathroom on the night of Steenkamp's death.
Pistorius says he thought Steenkamp was an intruder and was overcome with fear. He says he shouted to his girlfriend to phone the police and tried to save her life once he realised what he had done.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast