iOS 6.1.2 Untethered Jailbreak: How to Jailbreak iPhone 5 and Other iOS 6 Devices Using Evasi0n 1.4 [Video and Guide]
By Vinod Yalburgi | February 20, 2013 7:46 PM EST
Apple recently rolled out the iOS 6.1.2 public release with critical bug-fixes for the Exchange calendar issue and passcode glitch that marred the user experience over the last few weeks. Much to the delight of the jailbreak community, the new iOS 6 firmware does not break the exploits used in evasi0n.
Renowned iOS hacker and developer planetbeing tweeted on Tuesday that the new firmware appeared to be still jailbreakable. As iDownloadBlog notes, the veteran hacker further hinted that evasi0n 1.4 was likely to be released later on Tuesday with support for newly released iOS 6.1.2.
Here is what planetbeing had to say on Twitter:
Eventually, planetbeing's prediction seems to have come true as the evad3rs Dream Team has unleashed the updated version of untethered jailbreak - evasi0n 1.4 - with support for iOS 6.1.2.
iOS users who have already updated their devices to iOS 6.1.2 can now jailbreak their devices with evasi0n 1.4 using this guide. However, those who are currently running iOS 6.1.1 or lower can ignore the new update or should follow the steps below to retain their existing jailbreak tweaks and apps before updating:
- Backup your device using iCloud or iTunes before you proceed.
- Finally, run evasi0n 1.4 on the device to jailbreak it on iOS 6.1.2.
NOTE: If you have already jailbroken your iOS device using evasi0n then the OTA update will be disabled, and your only option is to update the device to iOS 6.1.2 using iTunes.
Here is the complete list of supported iOS devices for evasi0n 1.4 untethered jailbreak:
- iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS
- iPad 4, iPad mini, iPad 3, iPad 2
- iPod touch 5G, iPod touch 4G
Key Points to Note
- Evasi0n 1.4 supports iOS 6, iOS 6.0.1, iOS 6.0.2, iOS 6.1.1 and iOS 6.1.2.
- Ensure that iTunes is updated to the latest version.
- If you are using Ultrasn0w to unlock your iPhone, then avoid updating to iOS 6.1.2. iPhone dev teams are yet to release Redsn0w or PwnageTool with support for iOS 6.x untethered jailbreak, which enables the creation of custom iOS firmware file for updating to iOS 6.1.2 with baseband preservation.
- Do not jailbreak your iPhone just to pirate apps from the App Store.
- Make sure that the device's passcode lock is disabled (Settings > General > Passcode Lock On > Turn Passcode Off), as it can interfere with the jailbreak process.
- OTA updates have a known history of causing problems with jailbreaks. So, avoid OTA updates to iOS 6.1.2 at any cost and instead opt for the iTunes update.
How to Jailbreak iPhone 5 and Other iOS 6 Devices Using Evasi0n 1.4
Step 2: Copy the evasi0n app to the desktop and launch it.
Windows users: It is recommended to launch the application as an Administrator. Right-click on evasi0n.exe and choose "Run as Administrator" option.
Step 3: Make sure you have disabled the Passcode for the device and then connect your iOS device to evasi0n via an USB cable plugged-in to the computer. Wait until evasi0n detects your device and confirms that iOS 6.1.2 is indeed running on it.
Step 4: Click the jailbreak button and the jailbreak process will initiate. This process may take some time and your device will reboot several times during the process.
Step 5: After some time, evasi0n prompts you to unlock the device (NOTE: Do not close the evasi0n application), and tap the Jailbreak icon on the device's Home screen once. Follow the onscreen instructions, while ensuring that you tap the icon just once and allow the device to complete the processing.
Step 6: Evasi0n will continue processing the jailbreak installation and finally prompts you to click the Exit button. However, your iOS device will progress through the final stage of jailbreaking: Remounting, Injecting remount payload, Root filesystem successfully mounted, preparing final jailbreak data, injecting final jailbreak data and so on (the device may restart several times as it nears completion). So, leave the device alone.
Step 7: Wait for the confirmation message saying "Jailbreak Complete" on the evasi0n window and now your device will reboot to the evasi0n logo with brief messages pertaining to the status of the jailbreak.
NOTE: As iPhone Hacks notes, Patching Kernel and Initialising offsets steps can take as long as 18 minutes. So, be patient.
Step 8: Your device will reboot one final time and launch the Cydia app on its Home screen. Now, Cydia will run through initialisation process for about 1 to 2 minutes. Once the initialisation is complete, the device will respring again.
Step 9: Relaunch Cydia, choose Hacker, and enjoy the newly jailbroken iOS device running the latest iOS 6.1.2 onboard.
NOTE: If the device gets stuck or freezes in the middle of any process, then you can safely restart the entire process or hardware reset your iOS device (press and hold Power and Home button until the device shuts down).
For further assistance check out the video tutorial below (courtesy of iDownloadBlog):
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Reportedly Cleared by FCC: Five Fresh Features to Expect from Android Smart Phone
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 New Release Imminent as Apple Enters Mid-August Production with New 24-Karat Gold iPhone 6
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects