Rihanna Fashion Line Debut: Hit or Miss?
By Ayessa Desiderio | February 20, 2013 7:46 PM EST
As an accomplished performer, Rihanna's move to venture into the world of fashion is not entirely surprising. The 25-year-old is often seen in the covers of various fashion magazines all around the world. She is also known to make her mark in high-profile events donning her trademark provocative threads and designer streetwear.
Her first collection with British retailer River Island is as daring as Rihanna's regular uniform, but it is not quite as universally embraced.
The Daily Beast's Tom Sykes dubbed it a "horror show" and "porny", adding that the fashion show of the singer was "a tiresome, underwhelming and uninspired marketing exercise."
Harsh words, but Sykes makes his point clearly: Rihanna's skin-tight crop tops, thigh-skimming dresses and skimpy bottoms do not fit well with the sophisticated high-fashion crowd at London Fashion Week.
Alex Rees of New York Magazine was a bit more diplomatic saying the much-hyped collection "didn't prove quite as exciting as it could've been." He adds the clothes will still sell well at River Island due to Rihanna's association with the line.
The Stay singer defends her pieces in an interview with GraziaDaily. "Everyone can wear this line," Rihanna says. "It's not costume, it's not too sexy. It's very easy and laidback."
There are fans of the collection who agree with the superstar. MTV was very complimentary to the River Island collection saying they are "totally on-board with her comfy girly-yet-grunge pieces."
Elle UK, who has Rihanna as their cover girl on April, backs the singer-turned-designer as well. Fashion Director Anne-Marie Curtis calls Rihanna's debut designs as "an ode to all things high fashion."
Although her first taste of the serious world of fashion did begin with a debate on her success, just like everything in Rihanna's career, all eyes are on her.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones