Rihanna Fashion Line Debut: Hit or Miss?
By Ayessa Desiderio | February 20, 2013 7:46 PM EST
As an accomplished performer, Rihanna's move to venture into the world of fashion is not entirely surprising. The 25-year-old is often seen in the covers of various fashion magazines all around the world. She is also known to make her mark in high-profile events donning her trademark provocative threads and designer streetwear.
Her first collection with British retailer River Island is as daring as Rihanna's regular uniform, but it is not quite as universally embraced.
The Daily Beast's Tom Sykes dubbed it a "horror show" and "porny", adding that the fashion show of the singer was "a tiresome, underwhelming and uninspired marketing exercise."
Harsh words, but Sykes makes his point clearly: Rihanna's skin-tight crop tops, thigh-skimming dresses and skimpy bottoms do not fit well with the sophisticated high-fashion crowd at London Fashion Week.
Alex Rees of New York Magazine was a bit more diplomatic saying the much-hyped collection "didn't prove quite as exciting as it could've been." He adds the clothes will still sell well at River Island due to Rihanna's association with the line.
The Stay singer defends her pieces in an interview with GraziaDaily. "Everyone can wear this line," Rihanna says. "It's not costume, it's not too sexy. It's very easy and laidback."
There are fans of the collection who agree with the superstar. MTV was very complimentary to the River Island collection saying they are "totally on-board with her comfy girly-yet-grunge pieces."
Elle UK, who has Rihanna as their cover girl on April, backs the singer-turned-designer as well. Fashion Director Anne-Marie Curtis calls Rihanna's debut designs as "an ode to all things high fashion."
Although her first taste of the serious world of fashion did begin with a debate on her success, just like everything in Rihanna's career, all eyes are on her.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff