Rihanna Fashion Line Debut: Hit or Miss?
By Ayessa Desiderio | February 20, 2013 7:46 PM EST
As an accomplished performer, Rihanna's move to venture into the world of fashion is not entirely surprising. The 25-year-old is often seen in the covers of various fashion magazines all around the world. She is also known to make her mark in high-profile events donning her trademark provocative threads and designer streetwear.
Her first collection with British retailer River Island is as daring as Rihanna's regular uniform, but it is not quite as universally embraced.
The Daily Beast's Tom Sykes dubbed it a "horror show" and "porny", adding that the fashion show of the singer was "a tiresome, underwhelming and uninspired marketing exercise."
Harsh words, but Sykes makes his point clearly: Rihanna's skin-tight crop tops, thigh-skimming dresses and skimpy bottoms do not fit well with the sophisticated high-fashion crowd at London Fashion Week.
Alex Rees of New York Magazine was a bit more diplomatic saying the much-hyped collection "didn't prove quite as exciting as it could've been." He adds the clothes will still sell well at River Island due to Rihanna's association with the line.
The Stay singer defends her pieces in an interview with GraziaDaily. "Everyone can wear this line," Rihanna says. "It's not costume, it's not too sexy. It's very easy and laidback."
There are fans of the collection who agree with the superstar. MTV was very complimentary to the River Island collection saying they are "totally on-board with her comfy girly-yet-grunge pieces."
Elle UK, who has Rihanna as their cover girl on April, backs the singer-turned-designer as well. Fashion Director Anne-Marie Curtis calls Rihanna's debut designs as "an ode to all things high fashion."
Although her first taste of the serious world of fashion did begin with a debate on her success, just like everything in Rihanna's career, all eyes are on her.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June