Missing Canadian Woman’s Body Found In Water Tank Atop LA Hotel
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 20, 2013 7:37 PM EST
A body that was found in a water tank on top of a hotel in Los Angeles Tuesday is confirmed to be that of a missing Canadian woman who visited the U.S. in January.
Officer Diane Figueroa of the Los Angeles Police Department has told the Los Angeles Times that detectives used body markings to establish that the body was that of Elisa Lam who had been missing since Jan. 31.
The body was found inside a water tank on the roof of Hotel Cecil. The discovery was made when guests inside the hotel complained of a low water pressure.
The 21-year-old Vancouver woman arrived in Los Angeles Jan. 26 as a tourist. She was last seen at Hotel Cecil, which is located at 640 S. Main St, Jan. 31. It's not clear why Lam stayed at the Cicil Hotel.
The Cecil Hotel is a two-star hotel with 600 rooms. Fire-fighters and police officials earlier Tuesday were seen atop the roof searching through four large water tanks. The body, which is now confirmed to be that of Elisa Lam, was found inside one of the tanks around 10 a.m. local time.
One hotel guest told reporters gathered outside the hotel that they were disgusted with the idea that they were most probably drinking water from the tank in which the body was found. Los Angeles Fire Dept. Capt. Jamie Moore had said earlier that the body had caused "no biohazard concerns," CBC has reported.
The University of British Columbia student was hoping to graduate in 2016 and her friends have reportedly said that they were shocked not being contacted by Lam as it was out of the young woman's character.
She was said to be on her way to Santa Cruz as her final touring destination.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine