Missing Canadian Woman’s Body Found In Water Tank Atop LA Hotel
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 20, 2013 7:37 PM EST
A body that was found in a water tank on top of a hotel in Los Angeles Tuesday is confirmed to be that of a missing Canadian woman who visited the U.S. in January.
Officer Diane Figueroa of the Los Angeles Police Department has told the Los Angeles Times that detectives used body markings to establish that the body was that of Elisa Lam who had been missing since Jan. 31.
The body was found inside a water tank on the roof of Hotel Cecil. The discovery was made when guests inside the hotel complained of a low water pressure.
The 21-year-old Vancouver woman arrived in Los Angeles Jan. 26 as a tourist. She was last seen at Hotel Cecil, which is located at 640 S. Main St, Jan. 31. It's not clear why Lam stayed at the Cicil Hotel.
The Cecil Hotel is a two-star hotel with 600 rooms. Fire-fighters and police officials earlier Tuesday were seen atop the roof searching through four large water tanks. The body, which is now confirmed to be that of Elisa Lam, was found inside one of the tanks around 10 a.m. local time.
One hotel guest told reporters gathered outside the hotel that they were disgusted with the idea that they were most probably drinking water from the tank in which the body was found. Los Angeles Fire Dept. Capt. Jamie Moore had said earlier that the body had caused "no biohazard concerns," CBC has reported.
The University of British Columbia student was hoping to graduate in 2016 and her friends have reportedly said that they were shocked not being contacted by Lam as it was out of the young woman's character.
She was said to be on her way to Santa Cruz as her final touring destination.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch