Missing Canadian Woman’s Body Found In Water Tank Atop LA Hotel
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 20, 2013 7:37 PM EST
A body that was found in a water tank on top of a hotel in Los Angeles Tuesday is confirmed to be that of a missing Canadian woman who visited the U.S. in January.
Officer Diane Figueroa of the Los Angeles Police Department has told the Los Angeles Times that detectives used body markings to establish that the body was that of Elisa Lam who had been missing since Jan. 31.
The body was found inside a water tank on the roof of Hotel Cecil. The discovery was made when guests inside the hotel complained of a low water pressure.
The 21-year-old Vancouver woman arrived in Los Angeles Jan. 26 as a tourist. She was last seen at Hotel Cecil, which is located at 640 S. Main St, Jan. 31. It's not clear why Lam stayed at the Cicil Hotel.
The Cecil Hotel is a two-star hotel with 600 rooms. Fire-fighters and police officials earlier Tuesday were seen atop the roof searching through four large water tanks. The body, which is now confirmed to be that of Elisa Lam, was found inside one of the tanks around 10 a.m. local time.
One hotel guest told reporters gathered outside the hotel that they were disgusted with the idea that they were most probably drinking water from the tank in which the body was found. Los Angeles Fire Dept. Capt. Jamie Moore had said earlier that the body had caused "no biohazard concerns," CBC has reported.
The University of British Columbia student was hoping to graduate in 2016 and her friends have reportedly said that they were shocked not being contacted by Lam as it was out of the young woman's character.
She was said to be on her way to Santa Cruz as her final touring destination.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China