London Regains World's Costliest Office Space Title
By Jerin Mathew | February 20, 2013 6:17 PM EST
London has become the world's most expensive destination to rent office space, regaining the title from Hong Kong for the first time since 2008, according to a research report.
Global real estate services firm Cushman & Wakefield said that London's West End is the world's most expensive office market at present, and is costlier than Hong Kong's central business district (CBD).
The firm noted that London has experienced shrinkage in the supply of quality office space, inflating office rents by 2 percent in the West End.
It now costs an average of £170 ($262, €195) per square foot of office space, including rent, service charges and property taxes.
This is 43 per cent more expensive than Hong Kong, which was hampered last year by a slowdown in global banking. Office space there costs an average of £119 ($183, €136) per square foot.
Brazil's Rio de Janeiro comes third with an average price of £107 ($165, €123) in its Zona Sul (South Zone) area. Brazil is preparing to host the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio.
New Delhi came in at the fourth place, while Tokyo claimed the fifth position. New York is eighth, charging £84 in Midtown Manhattan.
"As a truly global city, London's appeal continues unabated. In conjunction with a scarcity of good quality stock, prime rents have increased over the year," Digby Flower, Cushman & Wakefield's head of London Markets, said in a statement.
The property agent also expects office rents to go up further in the city.
"Safe havens or gateway cities such as London, Hong Kong and New York continue to command high rents despite uncertain economic conditions, as they remain key markets in which to do business," said Glenn Rufrano, President and CEO of Cushman & Wakefield.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related