London Regains World's Costliest Office Space Title
By Jerin Mathew | February 20, 2013 6:17 PM EST
London has become the world's most expensive destination to rent office space, regaining the title from Hong Kong for the first time since 2008, according to a research report.
Global real estate services firm Cushman & Wakefield said that London's West End is the world's most expensive office market at present, and is costlier than Hong Kong's central business district (CBD).
The firm noted that London has experienced shrinkage in the supply of quality office space, inflating office rents by 2 percent in the West End.
It now costs an average of £170 ($262, €195) per square foot of office space, including rent, service charges and property taxes.
This is 43 per cent more expensive than Hong Kong, which was hampered last year by a slowdown in global banking. Office space there costs an average of £119 ($183, €136) per square foot.
Brazil's Rio de Janeiro comes third with an average price of £107 ($165, €123) in its Zona Sul (South Zone) area. Brazil is preparing to host the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio.
New Delhi came in at the fourth place, while Tokyo claimed the fifth position. New York is eighth, charging £84 in Midtown Manhattan.
"As a truly global city, London's appeal continues unabated. In conjunction with a scarcity of good quality stock, prime rents have increased over the year," Digby Flower, Cushman & Wakefield's head of London Markets, said in a statement.
The property agent also expects office rents to go up further in the city.
"Safe havens or gateway cities such as London, Hong Kong and New York continue to command high rents despite uncertain economic conditions, as they remain key markets in which to do business," said Glenn Rufrano, President and CEO of Cushman & Wakefield.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Invades Ukraine, Pro-Russian Rebels Create 'Second Front,' Obama Maintains No Military Action from US
- TEPCO Loses in Fukushima Suicide Case, Ordered to Pay $472,000 to Family
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October