London Regains World's Costliest Office Space Title
By Jerin Mathew | February 20, 2013 6:17 PM EST
London has become the world's most expensive destination to rent office space, regaining the title from Hong Kong for the first time since 2008, according to a research report.
Global real estate services firm Cushman & Wakefield said that London's West End is the world's most expensive office market at present, and is costlier than Hong Kong's central business district (CBD).
The firm noted that London has experienced shrinkage in the supply of quality office space, inflating office rents by 2 percent in the West End.
It now costs an average of £170 ($262, €195) per square foot of office space, including rent, service charges and property taxes.
This is 43 per cent more expensive than Hong Kong, which was hampered last year by a slowdown in global banking. Office space there costs an average of £119 ($183, €136) per square foot.
Brazil's Rio de Janeiro comes third with an average price of £107 ($165, €123) in its Zona Sul (South Zone) area. Brazil is preparing to host the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio.
New Delhi came in at the fourth place, while Tokyo claimed the fifth position. New York is eighth, charging £84 in Midtown Manhattan.
"As a truly global city, London's appeal continues unabated. In conjunction with a scarcity of good quality stock, prime rents have increased over the year," Digby Flower, Cushman & Wakefield's head of London Markets, said in a statement.
The property agent also expects office rents to go up further in the city.
"Safe havens or gateway cities such as London, Hong Kong and New York continue to command high rents despite uncertain economic conditions, as they remain key markets in which to do business," said Glenn Rufrano, President and CEO of Cushman & Wakefield.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Doomsday Seed Vault Safeguards More Marijuana Seeds
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Australia, NZ Ditch Proposed Joint Therapeutic Products Agency
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More