France Telecom fourth quarter earnings slow on price war
February 20, 2013 5:49 PM EST
Revenue in the fourth quarter fell 3.2 percent to 10.92 billion euros (9.45 billion pounds) on a comparable basis, hit by weakness in France and Poland, the company said on Wednesday.
Restated earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) fell 8.8 percent to 3.13 billion euros for a margin of 28.7 percent versus 30.4 percent a year ago.
Europe's fourth-largest telecom operator by revenue also posted 7.97 billion euros in operating cash flow in 2012, just short of its 8 billion target.
It maintained an earlier goal of hitting operating cash flow above 7 billion euros this year, but acknowledged that the price war in France was not abating as it had hoped.
"We are less optimistic about the end of the price war in France now than we were a few months ago," said Chief Financial Officer Gervais Pellissier. "The pressure on prices will be worse in 2013 than we thought."
Pellissier added that the group nevertheless maintained its objective to return to growth of operating cash flow in 2014, but more by focusing on cost cuts than relying on the stabilisation of sales in France.
(Reporting by Leila Abboud; Editing by James Regan)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery