Nationwide Strike 2013: Trade Union Leader Killed in Ambala
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 20, 2013 4:20 PM EST
The 48-hour nationwide strike began on a tragic note after a trade union leader was killed in Ambala, Haryana, early Wednesday.
The leader, a Haryana Roadways employee, died at a roadways depot after he was hit by a bus when he tried to stop district administration officials from allowing the service to resume during the strike, CNN-IBN reported.
The incident happened at around 4 am when Narendra Singh tried to stop the bus from plying after which chaos broke out, Inder Singh Bhadana, district president, Haryana Roadways Workers Union's said.
According to Bhadana, the officials were forcibly trying to run the bus which subsequently crushed Singh killing him at the depot.
"Narender Singh, the treasurer of an AITUC union was stabbed to death near the Ambala bus stand by some miscreants who wanted to take out buses from the depot despite the strike," Dasgupta said, according to PTI.
The strike was called by 11 registered trade unions across the country to protest against the UPA government's "anti-people" policies.
Several other central organizations including Bhartiya Majdoor Sangh (BMS), Indian Trade Union Congress (INTUC), AITUC, Hind Mazdoor Sabha (HMS), Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) and All India United Trade Union Centre (AIUTUC) are also participating in the two-day nationwide bandh.
The bandh will disrupt normalcy in the country as several sectors like banking, transport, power and telecom have gone on strike.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How