Nationwide Strike 2013: Trade Union Leader Killed in Ambala
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 20, 2013 4:20 PM EST
The 48-hour nationwide strike began on a tragic note after a trade union leader was killed in Ambala, Haryana, early Wednesday.
The leader, a Haryana Roadways employee, died at a roadways depot after he was hit by a bus when he tried to stop district administration officials from allowing the service to resume during the strike, CNN-IBN reported.
The incident happened at around 4 am when Narendra Singh tried to stop the bus from plying after which chaos broke out, Inder Singh Bhadana, district president, Haryana Roadways Workers Union's said.
According to Bhadana, the officials were forcibly trying to run the bus which subsequently crushed Singh killing him at the depot.
"Narender Singh, the treasurer of an AITUC union was stabbed to death near the Ambala bus stand by some miscreants who wanted to take out buses from the depot despite the strike," Dasgupta said, according to PTI.
The strike was called by 11 registered trade unions across the country to protest against the UPA government's "anti-people" policies.
Several other central organizations including Bhartiya Majdoor Sangh (BMS), Indian Trade Union Congress (INTUC), AITUC, Hind Mazdoor Sabha (HMS), Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) and All India United Trade Union Centre (AIUTUC) are also participating in the two-day nationwide bandh.
The bandh will disrupt normalcy in the country as several sectors like banking, transport, power and telecom have gone on strike.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date