Smog That Hit China in January Has Cancer Causing Photochemicals
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 20, 2013 4:07 PM EST
Experts from the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), without citing statistical data, claimed they found toxic chemicals in the pollution that hit the capital, over Tianjin as well as its surrounding areas.
"Nitrogen compounds that appear in smog are usually nitrogen dioxide. This and sulfur dioxide usually come from car emissions. If the weather is bad and humidity is high, these will turn into larger particles, and is can cause cancer if inhaled," according to Li Xinshu, professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences in Sun Yat-sen University.
"Nitrogen compounds, when reaching a higher density, could cause acute respiratory symptoms such as coughing and shortness of breath. It's a stressor for asthma. And our clinical records show an appreciable increase in respiratory patients last month," Prof. Pan Xiaochuan of School Of Public Health, Peking University, said.
The severity of the China smog pollution was so much that it gripped the country for about 17 days. Although the Chinese government has been running all around to combat the menace, it could only control the effects of the toxic air within the home front. Suffice to say, smog travels with the movement of the wind. As what has happened to Japan.
The Chinese pollution can even reach the U.S. on the Pacific jet stream, according to research made by experts located in as far away as Oregon in the United States. The Pacific jet stream a large, high-altitude current of air that connects the circles the world from east to west.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- NSW Braces for Severe Weather Condition
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools