Smog That Hit China in January Has Cancer Causing Photochemicals
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 20, 2013 4:07 PM EST
Experts from the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), without citing statistical data, claimed they found toxic chemicals in the pollution that hit the capital, over Tianjin as well as its surrounding areas.
"Nitrogen compounds that appear in smog are usually nitrogen dioxide. This and sulfur dioxide usually come from car emissions. If the weather is bad and humidity is high, these will turn into larger particles, and is can cause cancer if inhaled," according to Li Xinshu, professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences in Sun Yat-sen University.
"Nitrogen compounds, when reaching a higher density, could cause acute respiratory symptoms such as coughing and shortness of breath. It's a stressor for asthma. And our clinical records show an appreciable increase in respiratory patients last month," Prof. Pan Xiaochuan of School Of Public Health, Peking University, said.
The severity of the China smog pollution was so much that it gripped the country for about 17 days. Although the Chinese government has been running all around to combat the menace, it could only control the effects of the toxic air within the home front. Suffice to say, smog travels with the movement of the wind. As what has happened to Japan.
The Chinese pollution can even reach the U.S. on the Pacific jet stream, according to research made by experts located in as far away as Oregon in the United States. The Pacific jet stream a large, high-altitude current of air that connects the circles the world from east to west.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan