Lakers Owner Jerry Buss Dies, What Happens to the Team Now?
By Czarina Malleta | February 20, 2013 1:24 PM EST
Owner and innovator of the Los Angeles Lakers dies on Monday at the age of 80. Now that the Lakers is left without their pioneer, what will happen to the team?
The man who is responsible for turning the Los Angeles Lakers into one of the most established teams in NBA dies at the old age of 80. Magic Johnson admits that he cried in the morning after receiving the call that informed him of the sad news. Johnson was one to experience the Lakers dynasty when he was recruited and "treated like a son" by Buss.
But now that the founder is gone, Johnson is not sure where the Lakers stand today. During their glory days, the Lakers was one of the most celebrated teams in America. Not only were they known nationally but globally as well.
"He was an amazing man, a great man, and very smart man. He loved the team and he loved Los Angeles. He wanted to bring the championship to this city every time out, and he was disappointed when he couldn't. He liked the fans to be happy," Johnson said.
But the fans have not been happy for a long time now. And losing the man that has brought the Lakers' spark certainly will not help.
According to reports, Jerry Buss has been fighting with cancer for the past 18 months. He hasn't attended any Lakers game but is well aware of the team's poor performance.
"I can't imagine Dr. Buss was happy with the way this season was turning out. This isn't the way he would have wanted it. He wanted the Lakers to be real competitors, and this team isn't even on the same page with real winners, since we're No. 10 in the West. Not to mention that not winning leads to all kinds of drama with the players and off the court," says a Lakers executive.
Buss was said to have been involved in trades that brought Steve Nash and Dwight Howard to play side by side with Kobe Bryant for this season. But the only sure way to bring back the Lakers to its proper place in NBA royalty is for them to secure a championship.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports