Google CFO Thumbs Down Teleworking for Workers of Search Engine Giant
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 20, 2013 1:17 PM EST
A Google executive does not believe that working at home or doing "telework" is a best environment for ideas to flourish.
"The surprising question we get is: How many people telecommute at Google? And our answer is: As few as possible, " The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Google Chief Finance Officer Patrick Pichette.
"It's somewhat counterintuitive. People think, 'Well, because you're at Google you can work from anywhere.' Yes you can work from anywhere, but many just commute to offices ... Working from office is really important," he added.
His stand goes against global trends as more companies accept telecommuting, remote work, or telework, an arrangement in which employees can work at home, coffee shops, or other locations aside from the physical office to perform their duties and tasks assigned by their employers.
Mr. Pichette believes that working away from the office makes employees isolated from other staff and spending time together allows individuals to brainstorm more ideas than being alone.
Even so, teleworking is now a trend to many countries worldwide influenced by the effective distribution of information using the Internet and good level of communication through mobile phones, email, and video conferencing. The new trend of work also cut the costs for operation of having large offices and allows recruitment from other countries for lower labor costs.
Australia has encouraged more workers to telecommute because of its positive impact on employees' work-life balance.
However, one downside for the work-at-home employee, according to a Forbes.com article, is that they end up working five to seven more hours per week than if they work at a regular office setting.
Here are three Web sites that posts online jobs in Australia with teleworking or telecommuting status.
1. Flexjobs.com -Job listings include marketing manager, tax accountant, data administrator, and design engineer. Applicants can choose between freelance, part-time, or full-time telework statuses.
2. CareerJet.com.au -The listing includes appointment setters, national call centers hiring telecommute workers, and remote SQL developer.
3. Indeed.com.au - This job search site displays listings for telecommute employments including local travel writers, freelance digital designers and digital content editor.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS