Google CFO Thumbs Down Teleworking for Workers of Search Engine Giant
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 20, 2013 1:17 PM EST
A Google executive does not believe that working at home or doing "telework" is a best environment for ideas to flourish.
"The surprising question we get is: How many people telecommute at Google? And our answer is: As few as possible, " The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Google Chief Finance Officer Patrick Pichette.
"It's somewhat counterintuitive. People think, 'Well, because you're at Google you can work from anywhere.' Yes you can work from anywhere, but many just commute to offices ... Working from office is really important," he added.
His stand goes against global trends as more companies accept telecommuting, remote work, or telework, an arrangement in which employees can work at home, coffee shops, or other locations aside from the physical office to perform their duties and tasks assigned by their employers.
Mr. Pichette believes that working away from the office makes employees isolated from other staff and spending time together allows individuals to brainstorm more ideas than being alone.
Even so, teleworking is now a trend to many countries worldwide influenced by the effective distribution of information using the Internet and good level of communication through mobile phones, email, and video conferencing. The new trend of work also cut the costs for operation of having large offices and allows recruitment from other countries for lower labor costs.
Australia has encouraged more workers to telecommute because of its positive impact on employees' work-life balance.
However, one downside for the work-at-home employee, according to a Forbes.com article, is that they end up working five to seven more hours per week than if they work at a regular office setting.
Here are three Web sites that posts online jobs in Australia with teleworking or telecommuting status.
1. Flexjobs.com -Job listings include marketing manager, tax accountant, data administrator, and design engineer. Applicants can choose between freelance, part-time, or full-time telework statuses.
2. CareerJet.com.au -The listing includes appointment setters, national call centers hiring telecommute workers, and remote SQL developer.
3. Indeed.com.au - This job search site displays listings for telecommute employments including local travel writers, freelance digital designers and digital content editor.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown