The Tablet War: Sony Xperia Tablet vs Microsoft Surface Pro vs Apple iPad 2
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 20, 2013 12:46 PM EST
In a CBS news programme, Microsoft founder Bill Gates has admitted that Microsoft had messed up its mobile tech standing in the market. He also shared his opinion on the Windows Phone and Windows 8 standing vis-a;-vis the competition.
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer had been previously quoted as saying, "There's no chance that iPhone is going to get any significant market share," but Mr Gates just conceded that Microsoft missed a trick when it came to smartphones.
"There's a lot of things like cellphones where we didn't get out in the lead very early," he said to CBS. "Why not? Oh that's too complicated. No, we didn't miss cellphones. But the way that we went about it didn't allow us to get the leadership. So it's clearly a mistake."
Windows phones currently ranks only fourth place in terms of market share behind Android, Blackberry and iOS. The other three competitors have been pushing all in with new firmware technologies. In a bid for a larger share of the pie, Microsoft has extended Windows 8 to every form of gadget there is - computers, laptop, tablets, and mobile phones.
Comparing competition, Sony Xperia Tablet puts unlimited entertainment directly to the palm of its owner
while Microsoft Surface PRO brings altogether the goodness of Windows 8 and the enterprise in one place
and Apple iPad 2 focuses on versatility and design with lifelike display and twice as much speed than ever.
Xperia Tablet runs Android OS which currently holds the largest share in mobile tech industry. It is highly customisable, versatile, and open to almost anything even doing what computers could originally do.
Surface PRO runs Windows 7 desktop applications, but with interface of Windows 8. It brings the best mobility of Windows computers from laptop form to tablet mode.
iPad 2 runs the latest iOS version and comes in two variety, Wi-Fi only or Wi-Fi plus cellular function. Due to its exclusive operating system, the iPad 2 has the same type of applications found in iPhone or iPad mini such as FaceTime, Safari, iTunes, and the App Store.
Speed and Performance:
Sony has given the Xperia Tablet with NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor with 1.4GHz quad-core ARM Cortex A9 chips. It also has 1GB of RAM, up to 64GB internal memory with memory card expansion slot, and up to 12 hours of video playback.
Microsoft installed its own processor, the 3rd Gen Intel Core i5 with Intel HD Graphics , to the Surface PRO. The device has 4GB RAM with dual channel memory technology and up to 128GB of internal storage.
Apple gave iPad 2 a dual-core A5 processor chip, 16GB internal memory, and varies accessibility functions such as magnification, screen reader, and white on black display for handicapped tech users.
Sony usually uses high-end camera installed to their devices, and the Xperia tablet sports 8MP of rear shooter and 1MP for the front.
The Surface PRO has two 720p HD LifeCams to both front and back of the device for both capture and video streaming.
The Apple iPad 2 has a 720p HD back camera with 30fps video and audio capture and 5x digital zoom for stills. The front camera has VGA resolution with 30fps recording as well.
Android always come with Google Apps such as Google Maps, YouTube, and the Play Store. Sony added some of their own personalised applications exclusive to the user.
Windows PRO has access to the enterprise of Microsoft such as Windows Mail, SkyDrive, Internet Explorer 10, and Xbox.
The iOS has apps exclusive to iPad, iPhone and Mac devices, including Safari Browser, FaceTime, iTunes, App Store, and Photo Booth.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones