After Tom Albanese, It is BHP’s Marius Kloppers’ Turn to Step Down
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 20, 2013 11:34 AM EST
After the unexpected firing of Rio Tinto (ASX: RIO) Chief Executive Tom Albanese, it was the turn on Wednesday of BHP Billiton (ASX: BHP) Chief Executive Marius Kloppers to step down.
However, Mr Kloppers is not being booted out, but retiring from the giant mining firm which logged a 58 per cent decline in first half profit to $4.24 billion because of lower commodity prices and weak U.S. currency.
Eight months ago, Mr Kloppers had warned that the mining boom would not last forever.
To replace Mr Kloppers, who retires on Oct 1, 2013 is Andrew Mckenzie, the 56-year-old chief executive of the non-ferrous division and head of the Olympic Dam project.
Mr McKenzie has been with BHP since November 2008 and brought more than 30 years of experience in oil and gas, petrochemicals and minerals. He holds a doctorate in Chemistry and a degree in Geology.
BHP Chairman Jac Nasser said that Mr Kloppers is leaving the number one miner a safer and stronger company.
"Marius was appointed chief executive just prior to the global financial crisis. Despite an exceptionally difficult economic environment during his tenure, Marius and his team have delivered for shareholders, significantly outperforming our peers in terms of total shareholder returns. He drove new investments into next generation opportunities including U.S. onshore gas and liquids and created one of the most valuable companies in the world," Mr Nasser said in a statement.
He said the appointment of Mr McKenzie, considered the right person to lead BHP in a changing global environment, is proof that the company's succession planning process has served the miner well for more than a decade. Mr Nasser said the announcement is the result of a planned and considered process.
BHP also wrote off $3 billion on its Worsley alumina and Nickel West assets, but these writedowns were not the cause behind's Mr Kloppers' leaving BHP.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate