Apple iPhone Mini: Release Date in Summer at $330 Price According to Morgan Stanley Analyst
By Jenalyn Villamarin | February 20, 2013 10:40 AM EST
Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty suggests Apple could launch the iPhone Mini in summer to increase the company's sales in China. The iPhone Mini will reportedly have a $330 price that will aid the technology giant to further improve its current market share.
"A low cost iPhone with some basic features could literally triple the market share of the Cupertino Company in China. Having a low priced iPhone Mini in its inventory will enable Apple to add another 20% to its 10% share which it has today. However the key to this venture is an agreement with China Mobile," the Morgan Stanley analyst stated.
The technology giant has been targeting a deal with the China's largest carrier, China Mobile, with more than 800 million subscribers. Apple is currently selling the iPhone smart phones through the carriers China Unicom and China Telecom. With the smart phone prices becoming more stable in China, it would be a perfect time for Apple to launch the iPhone Mini with a China Mobile deal.
Analyst Katy Huberty stated: "We believe Apple could launch iPhone Mini at $330 (about Rmb 2,000) in-line with flagship products in China from Lenovo, Huawei, ZTE and Coolpad. Even in a scenario of low 40% gross margin and 1/3 iPhone cannibalization rate (flattening legacy iPhone shipment growth), which we view as conservative, the iPhone Mini adds incremental revenue and gross profit dollars."
With the price tag of $330, the iPhone Mini will aid Apple in getting hold of a bigger share in the Chinese market as well as competing against rival company Samsung that has a better grip in the South and South East Asian countries.
It is still uncertain if the Apple iPhone Mini will be available in the Europe and United States market where the existing iPhone became a success for the company.
Apple and China Mobile have been in an on- and off- negotiation since 2009 yet the two big companies have not agreed to a deal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Destiny Beta Now into Maintenance; Xbox One Version Prepped for 1080p in Final Run
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales